Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Error Code (0x80070002) and BSOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 capt.noobcake

capt.noobcake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

Hello and thankyou to whoever is reading this.
THIS IS MY SYSTEM SPECS:
Toshiba Satellite L505D-S6947
Windows Vista 32-bit SP2
(if you want to know processor or memory or whatever, just ask)

THIS IS MY PROBLEM:

Just a couple hours ago from posting this did it all begin. I somehow contracted a virus that had attached itself to and corrupted a file in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. The corrupted file was "volmgr.sys" and I went about Googling for the answer to how to remove it manually because my antivirus (Norton) program couldn't automatically remove it because it was a system file. So I found out how to remove the file using the command prompt and did so without thinking ahead. After I deleted the file I ran a system scan using my antivirus and it told me the threat was fully removed. Hooray! .........Well not really :/ So then I was prompted to restart and I did so and guess what? After the Toshiba startup screen and the Windows Vista logo with the little bars moving across I got THE BLUE FREAKIN SCREEN OF DEATH! But it would only stay on for like half a second then my computer would shutdown and restart and the process would continue indefinately. I don't have a Toshiba Recovery disk but read on a different website that theres an iso image of a Vista recovery disk that is free to download. I amas of right now using a friends computer to troubleshoot this problem. I burned the iso onto a dvd and booted from it on my Toshiba and tried to perform the automatic Startup Repair recovery tool to try to fix my problem but I get a message saying "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically". It prompted me to send the info to Microsoft, (which I didn't) and then I tried doing the System Restore option. I had plenty of restore points to choose from because of Windows Update and and I selected the most recent point. It was looking good all the way through then at the end I got this error message,
"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed due to an unspecified error. The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)"
So I closed that and shut-down my computer. There is also a Command Prompt option in the System Recovery options of that disk and I read on another website that its possible to restore system files to their previous factory state using this Command Prompt.
IF YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM USING THE COMMAND PROMPT WITH THE RIGHT COMMANDS PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!!
I would be forever in your debt. Thank-you very much.
Capt.Noobcake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,173 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi, capt.noobcake smile.gif

welcome.gif

Lets give this a try.

We will need to scan the computer throughout an External Environment, which simply means you will need to burn a boot CD with especial tools. You will also need a flash drive to move information from the troubled computer to a working computer. It is the only way we can see the progress of our actions. Save these instructions in your flash drive as a text file (use notepad) so you can have access to these while in an external environment (PE).

Here is what you need to do.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop. NOTE: This file is 93.1MB in size so it may take some time to download.
  • Once downloaded, insert a blank CD in your burner and click on OTLPEStd.exe.The executable includes the OTLPE_New_Std.iso and a copy of imgburn, a program to burn .iso files. When executed, the application will extract both and start the burning process automatically.
  • Once the CD is burned, boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created.
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standard Registry to All
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

/md5start
      eventlog.dll
      volmgr.sys
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      nvrd32.sys
      userinit.exe
      explorer.exe
      ntoskrnl.exe
      /md5stop
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Moved to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 capt.noobcake

capt.noobcake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thankyou so much JSntgRvr for your quick and very detailed, well said tutorial. But unfortunately before you had replied to my original post, I had decided to perform the Toshiba Recovery Service that was available on my hard-drive. Unfortunately and sadly this service formatted my entire hard-drive back to the way it was when I first purchased my computer, erasing all of my personal files and music and pictures, etc. But the good thing about it is that through the formatting, I have a completely freed up hard-drive and my computer works just like new again. Hehehe. Perhaps this time I'll be able to organize my things better than what I did before. Lol, oh-well.
Again I think you for spending your time finding a solution to my problem that was my fault to begin with. Thank-you smile.gif

#5 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,173 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users