Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Few build questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

I'm looking into buying a PC from CyberPowerPC.com, and need to get a better understand of what I need.

1) Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit vs 64-bit . Other than 64-bit requiring 2GB of RAM (I'll have 4GB to start), what's the difference? Is there any real advantage(s) to going with the 64-bit?

2) The video card being offered in the package is the NVIDIA GeForce 210 512MB 16X PCI Express. Because it's a fairly cheap upgrade, I was considering the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express or ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR2 16X PCIe Video Card. The NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express has a PhysX icon next to it, and the ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR2 16X PCIe Video Card has a DirectX icon next to it.

Not sure which is the better choice, or why. And not sure if there will be an issue with having DDR3 memory and DDR2 video card.

3) They have a Multiple Video Card Settings section with 2 options, Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor or Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors.

I'll likely have only one monitor, but I'm not sure which is the better choice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2010 - 06:01 PM.
Corrected title ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

1) 32-bit operating systems are limited to about 3.5GB RAM. There is no such restriction on 64-bit.
2) The 9500GT is slightly more powerful, but lacks DirectX 11 support. I recommend you go with that one, as it does not look like you are planning to play games.
There won't be any conflict between the card memory and the system memory, though DDR3 is still the better choice.
3) If you don't plan to play games or run video editing suites, SLI/Crossfire is useless.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

1) 32-bit operating systems are limited to about 3.5GB RAM. There is no such restriction on 64-bit.
2) The 9500GT is slightly more powerful, but lacks DirectX 11 support. I recommend you go with that one, as it does not look like you are planning to play games.
There won't be any conflict between the card memory and the system memory, though DDR3 is still the better choice.
3) If you don't plan to play games or run video editing suites, SLI/Crossfire is useless.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users