Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oil Spill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

Least Damage, In Shortest Time Theory, . .

Sink Slick, . .Spray with Concrete Dust, . .

Keeping it off of Birds, and Wild Life.

. . . . . , but at one time the ________ Press did a couple of articles about a concept that I sent to the MSRC,
Marine Spill Response Corporation appointed by the government to intercept technical concepts that were headed for the EPA
during the Prince Edward Valdez Spill.The idea eventually was developed, (conceptually), to be a net the size of commercial seine
and is called a
purse seine, these are large enough to sail a ship into, my development had 4-6 foot boom borders and the net was a fine net
and would contain a large spill while it can be pumped out.

It was rejected by the MSRC, but they would not tell me why, I told them that wasn't the way to develop technology,
if I don't know why it isn't acceptable, then how can I improve it. They told me that they did not have to answer that question.

Anyway my theory at this late date saving as much as possible is spraying the slick with concrete powder,, theoretically
it would sink the oil where it would ball up, with sand and mud on the bottom, and roll into the surf where it can be picked up in
globular balls.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

My brother in law sent me this email:
The video is about 6 minutes long. But it was interesting..

God bless …We have scientist, chemist, astronauts, and biologist but it takes two farmers to think up something like this.

http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

I like Wildabeast video, I think hay would make a great stabilizer and be able to suck up most of the oil.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

OK, . .

If you want it to float, they could use, 'Styrofoam", which should be plentiful, what ever is used for these purposes is going to have to be applied," pitching hay with a pitch fork is going to be tough going. (Not saying it won't work, and if Styrofoam would work, then I believe that it can be had in pellets, etc., then there would be the spraying machine. One thing it is light in weight but so much of it will have to be used, which goes for all or any applications.

It is to bad I wasn't able to do a couple of years of research on these things, during that twenty years of, "oil spill peace" .

But concrete powder is going to have its, pros and cons, but then again it might provide a temporary fix for saving birds along the shorelines.

I admit it's a shot in the dark, but again I wish it could be tested.

To little to late is going to be the theme song no matter how you look at it.

I am trying to see thew video, . but I gotta go to someone elses PC, I'll be back later maybe tonight. Thanks.

Edited by Jove, 06 June 2010 - 11:24 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

Holy smokes, them rednecks got it going on.

It will probably be rejected though because they have that fine Southern accent and everyone know we rednecks are all goobers and can't have any good ideas..........

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

I couldn't get the whole thing cause smpins wrong with the way my PC does videos, I'm gonna

have to fix it, . .

but, hay isn't that new, I mean the guy in the video said he just wants to do the work, . . .

but whats the hold up ? Since it's not new, this was infact started by a guy in Calif, years

before the Valdez spill.

Don't want to cramp your style, specially, a good old boy from the south.

Hey its no time for regulations and congress, Stump On It !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico

Using Tuna Seines and plying them with minnow size netting or smaller for example; screen will hold in huge amounts of oil.

Screen applied to tuna ne allows to boats to open mouth of purse or sein, which can direct the mouth of the purse or sein to and enclose oil spill and therefore contain large amounts of oil. This then can be used as a pumping station. The booms of the sein or net can be fortified or adapted to maintain the spill during rough sea.

The system can remain mobile and therefore movement during the capturing of the spill is operational.

As much oil as can be maintained since oil floats on water an appreciable amount can be captured and maintained.

by Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

Mulch Up PIG, (petro absorbent), and disperse, . .

(possible with blowers or some type of machine, . . . .

by air or even by hand, it on slick while using a boat-seines, large and small,

to scoop it up !

If that works, . . get the GOV. to have the manufacturer put on three shifts,

hire workers, start ordering the stuff to make it . . .

bale it up into bales of fibrous mulch, . . start shipping it via planes trains, trucks,

boats, ships, and get it on the slick, then start scooping it up even if you have to use

Pitch Forks !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 ibbo

ibbo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:19 AM

i thought it was funny & relevant (http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/ob.jpg)

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

I forgot to mention this;

Recently I had the Opportunity to make a submission to the EPA concerning the Oil Spill and a possible solution.
It is, for all intended purposes, would concern a technology R&D, . . the same one that I made twenty-one years ago, a net having small sizes net loops, (screening), and capable over sized booms.
I received enthusiasm and coverage from the local news paper.

I intended to send it to the EPA but at the time of the Valdez Spill the Government elected for oil-spill technology to go to the Marine
Spill Response Corporation, (MSRC), instead of going to the Office of Environmental Protection.

The concept was a net that was small enough in net loop size, (screening), that it would hold the partiality
buoyant crude. The flotation booms were designed to be much over sized and would protect the contents from leaving the
seine during rough seas. It would have been deployed using it in such a way that in would open and engulf or surround large
amounts of oil, then holding it in one place, acting as a pumping station.

The MSRC rejected the idea, and when I asked why, they told me that they did not have to answer that.

Previous to that I also sent it to the Exxon company, who seemed to, ( I may be wrong), have a slight interest in it but they rejected it too.

I also sent it to the DuPont Company, they spent a little time looking it over with some interest, but also elected to pass it up.

Since, my plans at the time included the seine design, . . it would have nicely fit the bill, for deploying it after the pipe break in the gulf.

Thanks Gov for the great opportunity to have a career as a design artist who worked in environmental technologies.

It would sort of look like this;

http://i45.tinypic.com/8wwizb.jpg

At this late date, if this system were to be used, all that can be done is to make shift a fishing seine, this could be done by over laying the net with a finer mesh.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ewl8k4.png

Edited by Jove, 17 June 2010 - 10:37 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users