Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC in a reboot loop once XP screen logo appears...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jaysidhu

jaysidhu

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Hi, I was having some trouble with my CMOS battery and was getting low battery warnings so I changed the battery but it seems that this hasn't solved the problem since now my PC is in a continous loop. I'm working with Windows XP. I took the PC to a local computer repair shop and they concluded that I need to re-install Windows but I'm hoping there is another solution as I have many files that I really can't afford to lose. It's an Acer and I have the ERecovery cd's but I haven't used them yet as I'm not sure if they will delete all my files. Thank you for the help.

Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

Would this happen to be a laptop, it may not be the CMOS battery it was complaining about. It could very well be the battery pack for the lap top it is complaining about if it is a lap top.

#3 jaysidhu

jaysidhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

No, unfortunetly it is not a laptop.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

Can you recall any error messages while in this infinite loop?

#5 jaysidhu

jaysidhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

All I can remember is that it kept warning of a low CMOS battery and also after a Windows update notification and installation, I had to re-start my PC and it began the loop.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

You put a new CMOS battery in correctly...and then updated the time/date data in the BIOS/CMOS and saved the changed settings?

Louis

#7 jaysidhu

jaysidhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Yes, I did put the battery in correctly and changed the time but still the same situation. Could it be a hardware problem or most likely software issue?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

System model?

Try running chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console?

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#9 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

I would try these simple steps...

1. While the system is booting, continuously hit the f8 key. Once the menu screen comes up, select "Disable automatic restart". then reboot. The reason for doing this is because you might be getting the blue screen of death, however, sometimes the bsod will appear and then reboot the computer so quickly you do not notice it... hence why you disable it from rebooting =]

2. if you have a bsod, give us the STOP error codes

3. if you do or do not have a bsod, try entering safe mode (which can be found on the same menu as the disable auto restart). If the computer gets into safe mode without problems, I doubt that a OS reinstall is necessary.

I would also check your bios settings... make sure the system is booting to the correct drive. Also, you might test the hdd for errors using UBCD.

If you are unable to get into safe mode, and are getting a bsod... you will need to reload the OS.

#10 jaysidhu

jaysidhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for your help. Issue resolved. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users