Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cmos battery?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

I am confused which category this is under. It is either Malware and Spyware or Hardware Related. So excuse me if this is in the wrong forum.
The situation is that the computer takes 10 Minutes to boot cause it tries to recognize a floppy drive which doesn't exist and the time goes back to 2003, however I don't get any error messages. It keeps the type of hard drive and all other configurations. It also has 512 MB and I added 1 GB, but it will only recognize 1GB and not 1.5 GB . I will move around the memory to see if it makes a difference. I also found at least 12 Trojan Viruses in the computer.

Initially I thought the CMOS battery was bad, however I'm not sure that will resolve the problem. I was also thinking of reformatting the hard drive and trying to flash the bios. I am a bit nerous about flashing the bios, simply because if something goes wrong, the motherboard will go bad. I am also reluctant to remove the cmos battery, for fear that it will damage the motherboard.

I did backup the data and I could easily get the updated drivers from the Dell site.

Is it possible the Trojan Viruses corrupted the bios? Will a bios flash resolve the problem? Will reformatting correct the problem? The computer is only a few years old.

Any advice?

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2010 - 11:45 AM.
Edited to correct display ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

I would start with the bios battery, there not difficult to change and removing them only resets the bios. I honestly think the Trojans are separate from your bios issue since they load with windows not during the POST process. I would avoid flashing the bios at all cost.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users