Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 smead

smead

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

I have similar problem. Cannot connect to internet, therefore cannot download any "fix". I am using a laptop and it connects fine (hence this post). Have XP and had my ISP send out a tech who put in a new net card and drivers. Also did resock. Everything looks normal yet no ip address is being recognized. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: Moved from XP to Networking ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2010 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

<<Everything looks normal yet no ip address is being recognized>>

You mean...you had someone install a new networking device...and that person did not check to see if the connection worked properly...before departing?

Start/Control Panel/Networking & Internet Connections/Network Connections. With the connection selected with the mouse....what is reflected in the left column under Details?

Louis

#3 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

<<Everything looks normal yet no ip address is being recognized>>

You mean...you had someone install a new networking device...and that person did not check to see if the connection worked properly...before departing?

Start/Control Panel/Networking & Internet Connections/Network Connections. With the connection selected with the mouse....what is reflected in the left column under Details?

Louis

They did check. The system is not recognizing the internet. In the left column under Details is system folder. I tried to click on that and nothing happens. Just to be clear I spent an hour and a half with a Brighthouse tech who had me run thru winsock, disable and enable thru comand prompt and isp reconfig. Also have tried system restore, going back 6 months, with no results. System Restored failed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

Try running the Network Setup Wizard/Connection Wizard to setup the connection from scratch.

What does Device Manager reflect for the status of your NIC?

Louis

#5 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Ran Wizard as instructed. In device status it says it is working properly, yet no internet connection. Ran troubleshoot with no results.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

My Network Places/View Network Connections...right-click on the connection, hit Properties.

Tell us what's reflected in "this connection uses" window.

Louis

#7 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

It shows my Network Card

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

Open a command window and enter the command "ipconfig /release". When that completes enter "ipconfig /renew". That should request a new IP address for you. If this doesn't work then I would look at the properties for the network connection. Under "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) ->Properties", check to see that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked.

Posted Image
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Done. No change.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

assuming this is a wired connection have you tried switching cables with the laptop that has internet connection or does it connect wireless ?

#11 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

I am communicating on this website via a laptop with the same ISP connection that my tower used to use. So the problem is not with the cable nor with my ISP, it is a virus that has hit my tower and taken over my NIC. All the things that have been suggested I have done before and have done again as requested so all of you in the forum can have the answers needed. This tower was working fine until I went to a website I shouldn't have. Then I got a couple of spam screens and then could not get on the internet. After talking with Bright House they said they could see me but that I did not have an IP address. I hope this explains the situation better. Thanks to all for the help. I hope some one has the answer. By the way I bought this used 3 years ago, have had no problems. That being said, I cannot do a wipe as I have no back up nor an XP recover disc. It came preloaded.

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

so are you virus free now ? recovery disks are available from computer manufacturers for a relatively small price. also the system may have a recovery partition on it. what is the make / model ?

#13 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

Not sure. I have run Spy Bot and Ad Aware and they have found nothing. Also a new NIC was installed and the same problem was present with that one. No internet connection.

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

i'm going to suggest that the virus either wiped out or is interrupting a service or part of windows needed to connect. you could try running Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) to see if it comes up with anything. if not post to the "Am I Infected, What do I do ?" section of this forum. to clear up that issue. Then we can look at services that may be shut down.

#15 smead

smead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Is this something I can download onto this laptop and put on a cd and then install into my tower? I cannot get on internet with tower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users