Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click Choices

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:59 AM

OK, let's be honest... I am basically lazy.

I am currently organizing my music on my computer. We are talking lots of music. About 50 Gigs worth. I find myself navigating to where I want to create a folder, right clicking, choosing New, choosing folder, and then typing M - P - 3. Hey, that is too much work, groovy guys and gals! It takes two hands to type mp3 because these buttons aren't even close to each other!

So my question is: Can I add an option to this 'right click list' of options? I would like to add a new folder already named mp3 so I don't have to do it manually. Then I would just right click and choose 'NEW MP3 FOLDER', or: right click, choose NEW, and then choose NEW MP3 FOLDER. Either way would would help a lot.

Like I said, I am having to do this hundreds of times, and this has raised the issue.

Thanks so much!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this will add Copy To, and Move To to the right-click context menu.

It's the second post in this thread:
Adding Copy To/Move To to right click

Standard warning:
NOTE: This is a registry edit. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing up the Registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

try the sendto program at this address, it offers some interesting functionality to right click options. http://www.trogsoft.com/index.html

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

Send To Toys 2.3
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:17 AM

Hey y'all! Thanks for your suggestions. But none of them will do what I want. I am not sure I explained myself very well in my original post either, so let me try to spell it out in a better way:

While I am in Windows Explorer, I would like to right click and have the capability to create a new folder named 'mp3' with just one or two clicks.

Does anyone know if that is possible?

I have been scouring the net and can't find a script, or even anything close to this.

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:55 PM

Im sure it is possible, although I do not know the exact way. On my computer, I have a right-click menu for send to -> zipped folder. If Im not mistaken, there is a manual way to add "Mp3 folder" to the right-click list. I will have to do some digging and experimenting.

If I do not post back with your answer tonight, PM me and I will tell you what I have found out so far, ok?

When it has been perfected, I will post the exact answer to your message so others know also.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:38 PM

Thanks confused user.

Right now I can right click and hover over 'new' and then click on folder. But then I have to rename it. I want something more direct than that. Easier.

One click and it will create and name the folder for me.

Thanks for your efforts.

So far I have not found the answer. I have found many scripts that have been written where you can launch programs from right clicking etc, and changing the right clicking options while in IE, but not in WIndows Explorer.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 08 October 2005 - 03:39 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:41 PM

I'm not sure how much easier it is going to be than just a couple of mouse clicks.. And once you create a folder named MP3, it is going to be a useless option because you will already have that folder. Any further creation of a new MP3 folder would delete the one you have.

Is the option supposed to be able to guess at what you want the name to be? Adding a function to the right click menu is simple..so would be the ability to run a custom batch file from that mouseclick to create the folder that you want. Of course by doing it this way, you have no control over where the folder is created, other than where you hard code it to be. Then once you have used that location and name, you will have to edit the bat file to a different name so as to not overwrite the original file that you created. That will take considerably more time thatn just creating a new folder and typing in the name, of which you can already do.

So I am guesing that I still don't understand what it is you are hoping to accomplish.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:53 AM

Ok, maybe I am not explaining it well.

In this thread I am using a folder named mp3 as an example of what I am trying to occomplish.

As stated earlier in this thread: I am organizing my music on my computer. A ton of it. I have folders with the artists name on it, and in each of those folders I am creating another folder named 'mp3'. Just one for each artist, but I am doing this HUNDREDS of times.

It got me thinking how much easier this task, or other similar tasks, would be if I could have a right click option of creating a folder that is already properly named.

I can obviously right click and create a new folder named "New Folder". Why can't I create one named something else? (In this case mp3)

What I am exploring now is where in the registry the folder name 'New Folder' exisists, and perhaps I can change it to 'mp3' just for this excersize??

In reality I am almost done with creating the folders I need. But this has become a quest of sorts for me. Apparently it isn't too easy to do? Or no one has written a script to do this yet? Or created a program so someone could add a right click option such as this? There may be a commercial need as well.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:18 AM

Apparently it isn't too easy to do? Or no one has written a script to do this yet?

It is incredibly easy to do.. that's what I said before, but it depends on your structure. If you have some logical structure like this:
C:\MyMusic
    |- artist_one
    |- artist_two
    |- artist_n

Then the entire process consists of makng a bat file with a single line:
md c:\MyMusic\*\mp3
That will go through every artist in your MyMusic folder and create the folder that you want. Simple.

Vbscript is actually pretty easy since there are many scripts already available. They just need a bit if tweaking. Again, if you have some kind of logical structure, then the following will work(needs tweaking):
dim filesys, newfolder, newfolderpath
newfolderpath = "c:\DevGuru\myfolder"
set filesys=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If Not filesys.FolderExists(newfolderpath) Then
   Set newfolder = filesys.CreateFolder(newfolderpath)
   Response.Write("A new folder has been created at: " & newfolderpath)
End If

If you have no logical structure to your music files, then it will take a bit more work, but it is still really easy to run either file from your right click menu. The code (both the dos code and vbscript) would then have to be altered slightly to run it on the current folder you are in, but the info is easily found on the web.

That's why you can't find any info.. your seacrch parameters may need refining first. Try a search for customizing the right click menu (as it pertains to your OS). And it is trivial to accomplish.

Cheers,
groovicus

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info and the leads! I'll continue to check it out.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

Im sorry that I could not find anything about adding to the right-click menu. I was hoping there was a manual way.

I went as far as running a search on specific files to be moved into a specific folder, but it did not pan out. Ex: all music files with Phil Collins -> send to -> Folder C:\desktop\MP3\Phil Collins. It did not really work though, even in a DOS way. Too many manual things you have to do that does not make it worth its while.

I would go with the script or continue using your old way.

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

Thanks again everyone for helping me out in this endeavor.

Here is how I ended up.

I explored the Vbscript as groovicus suggested, and I plan on spending some time learning this. Kind of cool. Ok, more than 'kind of'.

I found a script at http://billsway.com/vbspage/ that worked pretty well for me with very little modifiing. Now I can right click on a folder, choose 'new folder', and then a dialog box opens asking what name I want to use, but I made 'mp3' the default name, so it only requires one more click and the 'mp3' folder is created inside the folder that I had originally clicked on.

Again: I right click on the folder in which I want to create a new folder named 'mp3', choose 'new folder', click. Done.

I can see I have a lot to learn as I have no formal eduction in programming other than HTML and Javascript, as well as (don't laugh, now) Liberty Basic. :thumbsup: Ok, you can laugh!

Thanks again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: Now with a couple of more modifications I can right click on any folder, choose 'mp3 folder', and it's done. There now is a new folder named 'mp3' inside. Cool!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 October 2005 - 03:11 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users