Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Norton Good

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 candelo

candelo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:15 AM

I have been using Norton for my virus protection however it is due for renewal and I notice it is not among the recommended software for this purpose. Can anyone advise me what is the safest. My local computer shop techs all say Norton is the best but people in this forum don't seem to mention it much.

Would appreciate any advice to help me decide whether to buy Norton again or some other program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

candelo,

I like many people who mess around with computers like options when choosing any program, I always gravitate to the least expensive and free is the least expensive available. Most freeware made by the reputable firms (avast, avira, AVG, and many others) are as good or better than many paid programs that have the same function, computer security in this case, so do not be afraid to switch to an AV freeware. I use avast free myself and have for over 3 years, my firewall is free, Outpost, my on demand scanners, MBAM ans SAS are free and many other programs are. Using the list of AV freeware on this site is a good place to start in choosing a new AV. Post any more questions in your thread and I or some one else will answer.

Dan

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...us-software.htm

PS: My computer came with Norton installed I used it for almost 2 years but they kept upgrading and costing more. Why does a company make so many different home use products and want you to upgrade? MONEY !!

Edited by danjmilos, 05 June 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Is Norton good? Yes.
Is Norton cheap? No.
Are there freeware anti-virus and anti-spyware products available on the internet? Yes.
Which is the best free anti-virus ? avast! 5.0

#4 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

Norton is as good as stuff that is a lot cheaper and even free! I stopped using Norton because of the amount of money I was being charged just to use it on one computer and the constant 'upgrades' and 'new security features'.
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#5 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:37 AM

Norton, without any doubts, is a good antivirus software, while it is not free, so that's why it is not recommended by many people. If you want to a free one, AVG is pretty good, but if you want some powerful and reliable ones, Avast and Avira is what you need. Try them all!

#6 candelo

candelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

Thank for your help. I need one that is good - even better than Norton if possible. Willing to pay if it is better than a free one. Will have a look at Avast and Avira.

Edited by candelo, 07 June 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

One thing you can do is check with your ISP to see if they offer a free security suite to customers. Many ISP's do this.

Example, Comcast offers Norton free to customers.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

Is Norton good? Yes.
Is Norton cheap? No.
Are there freeware anti-virus and anti-spyware products available on the internet? Yes.
Which is the best free anti-virus ? avast! 5.0

I agree 100%. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

Norton 2010 in many reviews has been rated in the top 3. 2010 uses less computer resources that the older versions which was the main concern of many. I don't use Nortons, I use Webroot A/V I have never use a free A/V. Bitdefender is rated in the top three from my research but at times doesn't like W7 64 bit. The question in my mind is, it free A/V are as good as paid for A/V why are there paid for versions? In picking out a A/V I would not use the fact that it is free or not. Just Google,(anti virus reviews) and go to many sites and make your choice. :thumbsup: To Bleeping Computer!

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

Why is an AV free?

The free AV does not offer some of the features that a paid version does. For example, the avast! free does not have Sandbox, Script Shield, Firewall and AntiSpam.

Other than the lack of features, the free avast! uses the same scanning definitions and same scanning engine. They offer it free in the hope that at a later stage a happy user would buy the paid version to have more features.

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

I got it now Romeo29, it's kind of like sample cookies at the store. Hope they like them and buy a big bag of them.

#12 candelo

candelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for your input everyone. I think I may stick with the paid one as I would like a better firewall than Windows provides and that only seems to come with a paid one. Now I just need to work out which of these are the best. Reviews are good but they don't always say the same agree on what is best.

#13 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

candelo

Good advice above from Queen-Evie.

For paid software, Kaspersky Internet Security or Norton Internet Security are both top products IMO.

[Shop around (Amazon etc.), I'm sure you'll find a good deal.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users