Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on Building a New Gaming Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Goldensage1

Goldensage1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

I was wondering if the techy experts here can help me build a new gaming desktop that I will be using.

The amount I can spend on it is about 1k, give or take about 300. Can go higher if necessary, but cant exceed 1500.

I've never configured or built a computer before, so I would like you guys to tell me the best gaming deal for around my price, including all the parts necessary to make it.

Many thanks if you can help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hi there, I love threads like this as it brings out the nerd in me. Anyway, I'm going to assume you already have a computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP - You need something to put everything into. This is a full ATX case that can hold large, high-end graphics cards better than a smaller case. Be careful with computer cases as shipping can be very expensive. $139

Motherboard: ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 - This is a high-end AMD motherboard using the new 8-series chipset which has SATA 6 and USB 3.0 built in. This motherboard supports the latest AM3 CPU's, DDR3 RAM, and Crossfire. $154

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - This is AMD's flagship CPU with six cores. If you have games and applications that can take advantage of more than four cores, such as Handbrake, you will notice an improvement in performance. For games and apps that can only use four cores, it will function at the same speed as the 955. The "T" in the CPU's name refers to Turbo core, a technology that will automatically overclock the CPU by a certain amount if three or fewer cores are in use, resulting in increased speed. If you only use applications that use four cores, the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz ($159) might be a more cost effective choice. Like all Black Edition AMD CPU's, both of these have their multiplier unlocked for very easy overclocking. $299

Graphics Card: XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB - This is one of the fastest graphics cards on the market and will handle most games thrown at it. $294

Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W - This is more than enough power for this setup. You can run two 5850 graphics cards in Crossfire with this power supply. However, if you plan on using the uber-high end cards, like the Radeon 5970, you would need a more powerful power supply. Other brands to consider are Corsair, Thermaltake, Seasonic, Silverstone, and PC Power. $74 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This motherboard can take DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1333 RAM. 4GB is more than enough for most users. Remember, with 4GB or more of RAM, you need a 64-bit operating system. If you do video encoding or other RAM-intensive activities, you may want another kit. Other brands to consider are OCZ, Patriot, Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston, and Corsair. $109

Hard Drive: Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB - Plenty of space. Although the motherboard can take SATA 6 drives, this is a SATA 3 drive. There just aren't that many SATA 6 drives out, yet. $54

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - A simple, basic drive drive that can read and write to DVD's and CD's. This does not have Blu-ray capabilites. $19

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You need an operating system to run the PC. $99

Grand Total: $1,249 (Before Rebates and shipping)

3939.png

#3 Goldensage1

Goldensage1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks alot! Can another expert give me an opinion of this build? Its a big purchase for me, so I'd like to be sure that this is the best I can get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users