Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser hijacks are rampant right now!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 builthatch

builthatch

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

what's the deal? everyone i know is dealing with this right now. i called a friend who has his own tech business and he was working on the same problem on his personal machine that i dealt with last night.

antispyware soft then the requisite browser hijacking issues.

how does it take for the anti-malware programs (mbam, etc) to catch up to outbreaks like this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

what's the deal? everyone i know is dealing with this right now. i called a friend who has his own tech business and he was working on the same problem on his personal machine that i dealt with last night.

antispyware soft then the requisite browser hijacking issues.

how does it take for the anti-malware programs (mbam, etc) to catch up to outbreaks like this?

I am dealing with it right now too. What a pain!

Edited by Dwimmerlaik, 05 June 2010 - 08:51 AM.

#3 builthatch

builthatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

indeed!

go here for help with it - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

I'm confused, what are you all dealing with. What is the virus,Trojan,keylogger ect. you are dealing with.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

A lot of this is due to the new TDSS, TDL3, or Alureon rootkit.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Budapest. Shouldn't a good anti virus stop this Alureon rootkit or is it so new the cure isn't out yet.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Once it gets on your machine it is able to hide itself from most antivirus applications.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 kcgirl1313

kcgirl1313

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Once it gets on your machine it is able to hide itself from most antivirus applications.

Is there any way to get rid of it?....I am dealing with the same issue in Mozilla Firefox...Google keeps re directing me and i don't know if it's re infecting my computer?

Thanks for your help and expertise!

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

You can try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

Here is where I get confused. Budapest has posted a B/C site that will fix this problem which means it is a known problem. Question how does one get this bad thing if they have a updated anti virus? The post is from March 2, 2010. This is June. Surly all anti virus have had updates to cover this bad thing. What I'm I missing? kcgirl1313 what kind of security did you have running at the time this bad thing hit your computer.

#11 kcgirl1313

kcgirl1313

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Here is where I get confused. Budapest has posted a B/C site that will fix this problem which means it is a known problem. Question how does one get this bad thing if they have a updated anti virus? The post is from March 2, 2010. This is June. Surly all anti virus have had updates to cover this bad thing. What I'm I missing? kcgirl1313 what kind of security did you have running at the time this bad thing hit your computer.

Layback Bear.....

I had PC Doctor at the time. And was supposed to be good at preventing this. But, found it was not. So, deleted it and then downloaded several others. But, still got the virus...So, don't know how it's getting by the Virus protectors either...?

#12 Mark889

Mark889

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

My computer was recently infected with the TDSS rootkit from a website that I visit frequently. Thanks to help (boopme) on this website, my computer is clean again :thumbsup: I'm very diligent when it comes to having my anti virus and anti spyware/malware software updated. I'm also very cautious as to which websites I visit, knowing that some are much more prone to being infected by nasties than others, but I was really shocked to have gotten this infection from a car enthusiast site, of all places :trumpet: I knew nothing of the TDSS or its variants until I read up on it here (after being infected). When you think about it, a computer can never be 100% fully protected against ALL of the nasties out there since the anti virus companies can only develop software for known infections and have to play "catch up" with the bad guys who are producing viruses to avoid these scanners. Not a very comfortable feeling. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users