Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installation error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

New to linux,and trying to install ubuntu 10.04 lucid from PC.Authorty free disc,i receive the following message:-Invalid argument,please see log file:C:\ document~1\owner\locals~1\temp\wubi-10.04-rev 178 log. Can eyone enlighten me on this message,and please intruct me on measures to rectify same ? I am using a Dell Dimension 3000 computer,wth windows xp and will be installing Ubuntu on a Seagate expansion drive. Many thanks, Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Can you post the information that is in the log file?

#3 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hi Cryptodan,
Thanks for your reply,could you now tell me how to access this logfile.
Jim

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

You navigate to the following: C:\document and settings\owner\local settings\temp\wubi-10.04-rev.178.log

Open it up with Notepad by right clicking on the file, and selecting Open with... and find notepad in the listing. Uncheck the box at the bottom.

#5 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Cryptodan, Hi once again,! Have tried all ways to bring up D&s folder options but without success!! by right clicking on start and then explore i can obtain owner but not local settings or temp and wubi log files. Any more idea's would be welcome. Regards,Jim

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:00 AM

You may need to do this:

Show Hidden Program or System Files

Showing hidden files can come in handy—for example, say you've tried to delete everything from a floppy disk and the disk properties still indicate 100K of disk space is being used by hidden files.

To see hidden files:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options. Or via Control Panel

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Note To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

From: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...iddenfiles.mspx

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

What type of install are you attempting? There are many.
I see Wubi which is used to install Ubuntu inside Windows.

You mentioned installing on a external drive. Do you intend to boot from that drive?

Are you following a set of instructions from a website? If so, give a link to the instructions.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

Thank you Cryptodan,will follow your new instruction, Jim. and thank you also Buddy 215, i am running xp on the main drive C:// and have partitioned 40gg on my seagate usb drive,so am thinking that when i boot up i should receive a message asking which system do i want to boot in ? please correct me if wrong.i am not that computer savvy but am trying hard and at 84y/o it keeps me on my toes.
Goodnight all and best wishes
Jim

#9 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hi Cryptodan,
managed to find wubi logs,12 pages of info to many to send but appears to check validity of install disc, and at the end it says CD check failed,but ignoring because Cd is Beta !! so i presume that it is the wrong installation for my system. ?
Regards Jim

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

As far as I know, if you use WUBI it will only correctly install Ubuntu on the same partition as Windows.

You can do an install not using WUBI and install Ubuntu on the external HDD as a dual boot with XP that
is installed on your internal HDD.

If you are following a set of instructions posted on another web site, please post a link to that site.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

How much drive space is on your drive that you want to install it on?

#12 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi There,
It is a 500gb seagate expansion drive(usb) I have just downloaded the Seagate Disc Wizard in hope that it will help. What i want to do is have Windows xp on the normal drive C:\\ and partition the expansion drive (E) To take ubuntu. i will then no doubt have to find a dialup modem for Linux. At this point i have cleared the expansion ready to try again. Regards, Jim

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

I used Wubi, and it installed Ubuntu to my Windows Drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users