Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

odd coincidence - 2 computers crashing together

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:54 AM

Here's an odd one.
Yesterday morning both my daughter and I found blue error srceens on our computers. (Mine is as my sig below, hers a Dell Inspiron laptop with similar specs and software)
We are not connected or networked in any way - we share the same dialup phone line and cannot be online together.
The error code on mine was as follows (I am afraid she rebooted too fast for me to look at hers)
***STOP: 0x000000C2
(0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00000000, 0x82C8BEBO)

...none of which conveys anything at all to me, but event viewers on both machines reported shut-down of the True vector Service, which I believe is part of Zone Alarm?

The blue screen message was to check for the status of recently installed software or hardware, and to look for new drivers. The only recent change is on her laptop, where I installed XP SP2 from the cd last week. We both have the XP firewall switched off.

Several months ago our ISP issued a new dialup system, which we installed without any problems, however from time to time an error message occurs on connecting saying that it has not been possible to update the dialplan because of the presence of the firewall. This message comes and goes, and the advice from the ISP (Breathe) has varied. I have not done anything!

We are both up to date with security.

I'm sorry for such a long question - just wondering what this might be, and what to do if it happens again. Thanks very much :thumbsup:

Luci2a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:42 AM

Coincidence-maybe. Even though you do not have the computers physically linked together, something does make me wonder...

...none of which conveys anything at all to me, but event viewers on both machines reported shut-down of the True vector Service, which I believe is part of Zone Alarm?

Did you happen to install Zone Alarm on both computers about the same time, or install it from the same file? I would be willing to bet that if you updated it, then the problem would go away. But then again, I am a betting man, and will bet on just about anything :thumbsup: . Just something to look at while waiting for other responses. I wanted to comment on each parameters separatly.

C2 errors are often related to driver issues. Take a look at the link here. It is from the Microsoft database.

0x00000007 indicates that there is a problem with software range. Here is a link to this.

0x00000CD4 may mean that you have a RAM problem. Take a look here. (Note: this link is to a thread from a different board, please wait for confirmation from an admin, before downloading the suggested program mentioned)

0x00000000 is a generic error code. Basically it means that this parameter is not needed to display the problem.

0x82C8BEBO-I could not find any information on this one.

With the wealth of information that error codes gives us, there could be a number of problems. Personally, I would start with updating Zone Alarm, then removing a stick of RAM (if you have 2 or more), and run the computer for a while, to see if it prevents the errors. Just because it works without one of the RAM sticks, does not necessairly mean that you have bad RAM. It could mean that the RAM slot is the problem.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 luci2a

luci2a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hi Jason

Thanks for your reply.

I have XP, not 2000, so does your your link apply? I had a look at the MS update sites, and no drivers are recommended at present.
My daughter has ZA 4.5 and I have ZA Pro 4.5, installed at different times, and I am extremely reluctant to upgrade either of these having had a seriously bad time with the Version 5 upgrade. In the end I had to do a clean uninstall and roll back to the 4.5 version, some months ago. My daughter never did the upgrade (strict instructions from mother!) and has had 4.5 for some time now. (as recommended by the ZA users' forum)
I'm not clever enough to replace RAM sticks - I wouldn't know where to start! (especially with the laptop!)

I'll keep hanging in there - seems OK at the moment!

Thanks for help so far

Luci2a

:thumbsup:

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:57 AM

I have XP, not 2000, so does your your link apply? I had a look at the MS update sites, and no drivers are recommended at present.

I noticed that as well. The portion of it that applys was to update the drives. If you do not have any that need it. I wanted to try to eliminate some possibilities.

I'm not clever enough to replace RAM sticks - I wouldn't know where to start! (especially with the laptop!)

It is easier then you think. Especially the laptop. I will help you out, when I return later on tonight.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 luci2a

luci2a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:07 AM

Hi Jason
Thanks for your offer of help :flowers:
Wouldn't it be too much of a coincidence for us both to have faulty RAM?
At present I feel inclined to wait before doing anything drastic, and see whether it happens again.
Maybe you are right, and we should upgrade ZA, but I am very reluctant to do that after the problems caused by version 5 (not just for me - the ZA users' forum during the summer was awash with angry ZA customers) :thumbsup:
I'll see how it goes...
Luci2a

#6 thatman

thatman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:22 PM

Hi luci2a

I used Zone alarm Pro ver 4.0.95 then i upgraded to ver 5.0
This version came with many problems after 40 e-mails to tec support what a waste of time that was mostly putting blame to the users
I found that there was a corupted file in c: windows Internet logs canít remember the files, one file was named TV ? Something I would delete the file then Z/A would restart just like a freash install.

Got very annoyed with this program and dumped it now use a different Firewall.
When i buy a software program i do not purchase it to be involved in rd i just need it to work, Then TEC SUPPORT would point you to their forum where you find many other people searching for answer to their problems with this program.

The link below will take you to Zone labs forum thier you will find SEARCH RESULTS 1 - 10 of 1214 total results for vxd errors Welcome to Zone labs Research & development have a nice day.

all the best

thatman

#7 luci2a

luci2a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:42 AM

Thanks for your replies Jason and Thatman.
Yes, I know the ZA forum very well after the Version 5 fiasco!
My pc is OK now, but the laptop was still playing up, and yesterday I sent the error report to MS, and immediately got the automated reply that the graphics driver needed updating, which I have done. Now we'll see if that was the reason.
The helpful guru at the ZA forum said true vector shut-down was a result not a cause of the crashes.
Cheers
Luci2a :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users