Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes at Login, After Security CTRL-ALT-DLT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 danceb

danceb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

Freezes at Login, After Security CTRL-ALT-DLT

Hi everyone!

Just the other day I started to be unable to access my IBM thinkpad (laptop) T60, because it freezes AFTER i press the security CTRL-ALT-DLT at login for Windows XP, the one you have to get through before typing in your password.

The keyboard works fine until that point, because i have an encryption password/username point to get through before startup, and everything is O.K. However, after I get to CTRL-ALT-DLT, the computer stops recognizing anything-- even the mouse stops moving. The only thing I can do at this point is to force quit (the mouse mysteriously is moveable when it starts shutting down again).

I have tried safemode, safemode with networking, etc etc, most of the options that I get on the F8 menu. Everything and anything that takes me back to the login screen with CTRL-ALT-DLT freezes no matter what.

I suspect malware or a virus (not too sure how to categorize them) is a partial cause of this, because "Antivirus Soft" has been popping up a lot recently, goes away with Spybot, then comes back again. So I definitely think my computer is infected.

I don't really have experience with computers, but I'm thinking now my only resort is the recovery XP disk? For some reason I have not been able to get my disk to work even though I set it up as boot CD first through BIOS. Maybe something else has gone wrong with my BIOS?? And, even after I get the disk to work, I'm not too sure where to go with it-- do I repair or wipe everything clean? How do I salvage a few important files before that?

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post! I really appreciate any help and advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

danceb,

This post may end up moved if the moderators feel you have a malware infection. I recently repaired a computer that had registry issues. The keyboard and mouse would freeze when the keyboard was used. The problem ended up being in the registry. I am not sure whether I am aloud to instruct you on how to edit the registry, but I likely have a solution for your problem. I will let the moderators decide what route to take.

Jake

Edited by sbdblyss, 04 June 2010 - 06:13 PM.

My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

<<I don't really have experience with computers, but I'm thinking now my only resort is the recovery XP disk>>

Considering this statement and the fact that the OP has had known, identified malware problems (Antivirus Soft), I believe that suggesting registry edits in somewhat inappropriate.

I will move this thread to the Am I Infected forum where BC personnel with malware experience can take a shot at assisting the OP :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users