Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Security Essentials keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

For some reason MS Security Essentials keeps crashing on my dual-boot Windows XP (SP3)/Linux system. I have done a complete uninstall and reinstall as that seems to be the recommended "fix" for everything MS. It made no difference. It keeps on crashing, asking to send an error report to MS, and then XP warns that my computer is unprotected because the MSSE process has stopped, and I ought to restart it. This happens when downloading updates, when scanning, and sometimes just at random for no detectable reason. Since it works just fine on another system that is NOT dual boot but exclusively Windows, I can only suspect that MS doesn't like anyone else touching the boot sector and the reason it keeps freaking out is that it finds GRUB in the boot record. Has anyone else had a problem like this with MSSE? Especially anyone else with a dual boot system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users