Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate... Search Engine Redirection Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MandyH

MandyH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hi everyone, I've come here in hopes of figuring out what's happening to my computer. I've been bombarded with viruses apparently and my computer is still not at 100%. For the past 3 or 4 days I've been struggling to try to straighten it out to no avail. I was on the verge of tears yesterday as the frustration is really taking it's toll on me.

As background info, I run Norton Antivirus as my primary source of protection. It always came back clean or it "resolved" any threats so I thought my computer was secure. Then one day about a month ago I got hit with Antivirus Soft scam. I did not fall for it and did not purchase the software. After doing some searches I thought I had successfully gotten rid of it. I had no issues up until this week when it popped up again. I honestly can't remember what I did this last time to get rid of it, but it is gone - or so it appears.

Now that that's gone my search engines are acting up. I can get on to Google and do a search, but when I click on one of the results it forwards me to a completely different page. Oddly enough, to me anyway, I can do a search in the News area and it works fine. It's just normal searches that won't work. I don't recall getting any pop ups, just the redirects. I have the same issue when I try Yahoo.

I did some more searches at work on a completely different computer and found out about Malwarebytes which I downloaded. The first time around it came back with 16 issues which were removed. I ran it again last night and it came back with 12 more (may have been 13) which were again removed. I'm planning on running it a 3rd time this afternoon. I can post the logs on all (3) scans if it'll help.

I can't even use my System Restore function either. I tried that using 3 different checkpoints, all came back incomplete.

Through all my reading I've seen Combofix listed numerous times, but I'm VERY hesitant in downloading anymore programs, especially considering the warnings and disclaimers I've been reading about this one. I just don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

I was also wondering, how serious this "search engine redirect virus" is. I know I need to get rid of it and I want to get rid of it, but can I still do other work on my computer without risking anything?

Also, with all of these issues I'm not beyond paranoid about my computer. How will I know with 100% certainty that my computer is secure once again.

Lastly, when it comes to AntiVirus scanning, should it be done daily? I had my Norton software do a full system scan weekly, but I'm really considering changing it to daily. Would this help at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users