Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

several major problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alchemy10

alchemy10

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

I need to describe so that the whole situation is understood.

1. 3 days ago I noticed images on web pages were displaying with warped colors/dis-configured. Half hour later and websites were displaying completely screwed up (coding would display over top of what you are supposed to see). 1 out of 3 refreshes would display it normally. Now most of the time I get a "content encoding error" on almost everything.

2. We have a wireless connection, with 2 computers connected, but only my laptop (this computer is using the wireless). The other is direct. My father said he is having the same problem with his computer with the content encoding error.

3. I went out and bought Kaspersky and installed it. The database is outdated and absolutely won't update, so doing a scan is worthless with it. It says database is obsolete right off the bat!

4. I tried downloading and reinstalling the latest version of firefox, hoping that would fix the content encoding error problem so that I could at least trouble shoot without distractions.

5. Now I absolutely cannot open any .exe file because it says the installer is corrupted or incomplete.

6. I think, using some directions I uninstalled the original windows installer, and downloaded the latest version. Naturally I can't open the latest windows installer.exe file so its retarded.

7. I also was trying to get the latest version of flash so that I could actually see websites properly, and now I have no version of flash I guess.

8. I uninstalled Spybot, Malewarebytes and an outdated version of Norton before installing Kasperky, but perhaps there are some traces left of those programs that are interfering.

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2010 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Worth Reading, IMO.

Other reports of same appear to reflect browser issues, I would try uninstalling/reinstalling browser...after trying to disable add-ons first.

Louis

#3 alchemy10

alchemy10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

That's the least of my problems at this point. I now cannot install any programs to fix thing, even like malwarebytes. Like I said, I'm pretty sure that windows installer is now NOT on the computer. As a result, I cannot open the latest version to install it. I think their must be something wrong with my registry. These are the errors that I get.

Either

1. "file is corrupt"

2 ."the setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program"

3. "NSIS Error: the installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk,
a failed download or virus."

or I almost got a windows update to go through with a download and then it said

"Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file. "

I don't think low disk space is the problem.

If I can start opening and running .exe files effectively, I might be able to update Kaspersky to the latest version and get a scan going.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

System manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on C:? How large is C:?

Did you check the status of the hard drive...by either running chkdsk /r or running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic?

Louis

#5 alchemy10

alchemy10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I'm not that knowledgeable, sorry :thumbsup:

I ran the chkdisk /r like you suggested and it said that the hard drive was in use and couldn't continue.

1. C: 87.9 GB, free space = 55.7 GB

Sony Vaio
Genuine Intel CPU
T2050 @ 1.60 GHz
1.60GHz, 0.99 GB RAM

Windows XP Professional 2002 version
SP3

Not sure how to locate information on hardware or hard drive, sorry :flowers:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

Try this:

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen message...and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

The chkdsk will execute and boot into XP upon completion.

Louis

#7 alchemy10

alchemy10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I did that and nothing happened. No report or anything. Not sure what it was supposed to do. I checked my dad's computer and everything is a mess with it too. Its Vista and it will not let me open program files or update anything to fix stuff. It must be a virus. Its like my internet connection is sabotaged or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users