Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random keys on keyboard stop working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jkoby

jkoby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I have a user whose Tab key stopped working, but only on its own. That is to say, Ctrl-Tab, Shift-Tab, and Alt-Tab all still work. After swapping with a known-good keyboard, Ctrl doesn't work, and escape opens the start menu (which would indicate that ctrl is stuck down). After a second keyboard swap, with a keyboard that is known-good, tested, and absoutely pristine, he reports that the F key and Ctrl key sometimes do not work, along with a couple other keys.

No accessibility options are active, and the BIOS on all machines in this office are identical. What could possibly be going on here, and what can I do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Are you receiving any errors in Device Manager?

To get to device manager, do the following:
Start->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->System->Hardware Tab->Device Manager

Or

Type the following into the run dialog box (Located at: Start->Run)
devmgmt.msc

Let me know if there are any discrepancies.

Jake
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

The keyboard driver could be damaged...I would try uninstalling it and then rebooting.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2010 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users