Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect virus, new user, Need help with removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 orourkeej

orourkeej

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

I have just found this forum after realizing that my computer just became infected with the "google redirect virus". I actually had a doubly bad day yesterday as I was also infected with the PC security malware. I installed and ran the Malwarebyte anti-malware program which did a very nice job on the PC security malware. I'm now a registered user of the Malwarebyte product which is running in real time now but it doesn't seem to deal with the google redirect problem. I have been using a paid registered and up to date copy of Avast as my basic antivirus program but it seems not to have detected the google redirect virus (although it did partially detect the PC security malware and blocked some of it's actions). I run Windows XP

So, it looks like I am essentially in the same boat as many other new users of this forum and would appreciate help in ridding my computer of the google redirect virus. Would also like to know how to prevent reinfection with this thing as my otherwise competent Avast program does not recognize it at all.

I do have another uninfected computer right at hand and I have printed out the Preparation Guide which I will read soon. I haven't backed up my computer in the past six weeks and am a bit shy about backing it up with the virus infection being active. Should I just give up on the past six weeks or is it safe to create a new backup while infected? I have already got copies of critical files (thank you dropbox) so I will not shoot myself if I need to lose the past six weeks of changes.

Thanks in advance to the forum members who provide this help service. Really a remarkable community effort. :thumbsup:

I will start a new post in the relevant forum stating the same information (just saw the warning not to post about problems in the intro forum).

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 orourkeej

orourkeej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Help. My malware response team helper seems to have disappeared. I am now at the 5 day limit before my thread is closed and we are still not quite finished (we seem to have removed the trojan but the computer is now unstable). I've sent messages but have had no response since Thursday. Is there a way to prevent the thread from becoming a "cold case" while my malware response team helper is incommunicato? I can wait for him to return but didn't want the thread to be closed. Thanks.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

I'll look into it for you.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users