Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cycle

cycle

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

Hi, I'm working on a eMachine T3995 and it won't get past the BIOS splash screen. Where is shows eMachine and press <F10> for Boot Menu and <F2> for Setup. It doesn't matter if I push F10 or F2 nothing happens the Screen stays the same. The problem started before but if I rebooted it would usually take care of the problem. It happened more frequently and now it happens every time.

Its running WinXP SP3 but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I tried putting in another HD just to see if it would try to boot to it and it doesn't. I also pulled out the RAM (it only has one 512 MB RAM stick in it) to see what it would do. It gave me an audio beeps to let me know it doesn't have RAM in it and no screen. I put the same RAM in and it has the same problem.

No hardware has been added to the computer in a LONG time, so I wouldn't think its a configuration problem.

I guessing it has a bad Mother board in it. Would you all agree or do you think I should look at something else.

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

So, if you press the delete key (usually a universal way of getting into the bios) it does not enter the bios options? If this is the case, make certain that your keyboard is working properly (use a PS/2 keyboard if possible).

If you are able to get into the bios options, relay for us what IDE or SATA drives that it is showing (usually your hard drive, DVD-ROM, etc). This will tell us some of the info that the computer is grabbing during P.O.S.T.

Several things could be bad:

Motherboard
RAM (There's a good chance this is the problem)
HDD (probably not as you should get an error)

I'm thinking it's the RAM or MOBO.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

FWIW: I think that eMachines may use the F2 key, rather than the Delete key, to enter the BIOS. Setup and the BIOS are the same thing.

Louis

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

replace battery in motherboard

next you could try clearing the cmos to reset bios back to default settings this is usually done by moving a jumper on the motherboard for a few minutes then replacing it. if you can now enter bios you will have to reset the clock.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

Go into the bios and disable quick boot and full screen logo this should allow you to read the bios load screen its hanging somewhere it could be a fan not working properly that's causing the bios to hold. The computer is trying to tell you something you just can't see it.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 mojoryzin

mojoryzin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Also, make sure you don't have a usb flashdrive or mp3 player plugged in. I've done that to myself on several occasions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users