Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Hijacker

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wyldecarde

Wyldecarde

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hi I'm hoping you guys could help me out as my computer appears to be infected with a browser hijacker or some other malicious programming, about every 2-3rd time I attempt to load a new window or click a link on my browser I'm redirected to a seemingly random ad site. On occasion a random tab will open in my window that is auto-directed to another ad site.

I mainly use Firefox as my personal browser of choice, but my family and the random who-evers seem more comfortable with Internet Explorer so both are used frequently and both seem to be infected or at least affected by this hijacker

As I am only one of many people who use this computer I unfortunately cannot say exactly when this problem started, nor do I have any idea how it started.

I am currently running Windows XP home edition version 2002 service pack 3.

Steps I've taken: Ran Avira Anti-virus, Malware Bytes Anti-malware, Spybot search and destroy, CCleaner. (to seemingly no effect), Restarted in safe mode and re-ran them (to seemingly no effect)
My current computer protective programs still seem to be working fine and they have handled all my problems in the past but they simply don't recognize or remove whatever has hijacked my browser. =(

Seeing the popularity and heavy usage of HijackThis in these forums I downloaded it, took one good look at it and realized I don't know jack about it, will attempt to post a log upon request.

Is there some simple solution to removing what I suspect to be a browser hijacker? and if not Can someone walk me through it? Hijack this log can be posted on request (and possible explanation)

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2010 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hello ,in reality we are now using HJT less and less as we have better more accurate tools now.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users