Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard options.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

Can anyone suggest an alternative MB to the MSI MS-7184 HP/Compaq name: AmethystM-GL6E I have at the moment?

I have all other parts to start a rebuild project (my first) and am looking for more economic alternatives.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

That motherboard is an old Socket 939 micro ATX. We'll need more information if you want help. First off, are you only replacing the motherboard, keeping the same CPU and RAM? Second, is this a total rebuild as in replacing the CPU and RAM too? If so, what are they? Third, you do realize that in order to comply with the Windows license agreement, you will have to repurchase it (There is no technical reason you couldn't reinstall anyway)?

3939.png

#3 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:04 AM

DJBPace07 (thank you): This all came about because of problems I had http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312733/the-lights-are-on-but-nobody-is-home-psu-problem/

I ended up buying an exact replacement MB. Fitted it last night and still ended up with the flashing green light on the PSU and a flashing blue light on the front of the tower.

I did intend to keep the same CPU and RAM, looking on line for answers, I'd decided the problem did not lie in the PSU and I was replacing the motherboard... but after last nights dissapointment, now I'm not sure what the problem is at all!

from HP site, CPU - Socket: 939 Supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 (up to 4800+) and Sempron (up to 3200+) processors.

RAM - Four 184-pin DDR DIMM socketsSupports dual channel, eight memory banks DDR 333/400 DDR DIMMsSupports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMMsMaximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB* without ECC

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

Did HP give you any indication as to what the blinking lights mean? Did you try replacing the PSU with another one while using the new motherboard? Have you tried other electrical outlets? It's possible both are kaput unless the PSU can turn on with other equipment.

3939.png

#5 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

On the HP web site, they say that a flashing light is a PSU problem, I have tried two PSU's in there and in several sockets and still get a flashing light.

I have not tried using a second PSU with the new motherboard, I will do that this evening and report back.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:09 AM

Swapping out the PSU with a different unit should change the blinking light, especially if you replace it with a different model PSU. You cannot add a second PSU to a motherboard. What I meant was replace both the motherboard and PSU with new units to see what happens.

3939.png

#7 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

Thanks DJB, I understand. I will have to wait until tomorrow to buy a new PSU, following a schoolboy error with the number of pinouts on the one I borrowed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users