Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deadlysins

deadlysins

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:12 AM

Laptop Basics:

Acer Aspire 8935G
Intel core 2 Quad processor Q9000 (2.0GHz)
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATi Radeon HD 4670.

Hey guys, recently, My screen has started doing a very odd flickering thing.

Its not so much a flicker, as it is a change in brightness. The screen never goes blank, nor does the image shift up, down, left or right, but sometimes it will flicker between light and dim a few times in quick succession.

I just don't know what to do. :/

I have Windows7 32-Bit.

Thanks in advance.
I'm Not Too Good At Advise, May I Offer You A Sarcastic Comment? (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Is your Laptop plugged in when this happens?

Check you power managment settings. If there set to power saver when unplugged, your screen will be dimmer. Your problem sounds to me like this is the case, and while plugged in, the power connection is loose, and it looses connection for brief moments which causes your screen to flicker between dim and bright because of the power management settings.

You can check what settings are applied simply by clicking on the battery icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

The screen flickering does sound like an issue with the power management. When the AC adapter is not plugged into most laptops, it will go to a lower-power mode, causing the screen to dim; it then does the opposite when going from not plugged in to plugged in. Like the post before said, check your power management. Also, make certain that the AC cable is plugged in correctly. Wiggle it around a bit to make sure there's not an issue with the port itself.

#4 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

Have you tried connecting it up to an external monitor? Perhaps this may rule something out.
Good Luck!

#5 deadlysins

deadlysins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

Unfortunately I dont have an external monitor, and the flickering seems to persist when the power is not plugged in at all :/

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

looks pretty new, warranty ?

#7 deadlysins

deadlysins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

Looks like i'll have to claim on the warranty, yeah. :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Since it's a laptop...it doesn't require an extraordinary amount of effort to temporarily connect it to a monitor on a different system...for a long enough period of time to see if it's a screen issue.

Or...since it's under warranty...just contact the appropriate manufacturer...since you probably won't be able to correct whatever it is on your own.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users