Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Predict the future of hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

I thought it would be interesting to post what some specs for hardware could be in the near future.

Video Cards

I see video cards expanding fast from the stiff competition. Next year, it would not surprise me one bit if they have the first 1 GB DDR3 RAM video card. In 2 years, 512 MB will be as commonplace as today's 64-128 MB versions. In 5 years, it may even be recommended to have a 1 GB video card just to run the Operating System.

Monitors

I see that LCD monitors will come down in price, to almost CRT prices by next year. The Plasma screens will come down in price as well, but not a noticeable level for another 3 years. In 5 years, a new technology will emerge that will rival any (current) technology resolution; CRT and LCD monitors finally become wireless.

Hard drives

Prices are dropping and GB space continue to rise. Next year, a TB (1000 GB) hard drive will be made available, even if the price does not warrant the purchase (especially if you can get multiple GB hard drives to make up for the TB one). In 3 years, hard drives will evolve into removable platters similar to how we use CDs/DVDs today. 5 years from now, hard drives will get smaller-flash drive size, with today's storage space.

motherboards

Dual- and multi-processors make for some very impressive speed, with a very impressive cost. Next year, the multi-processor boards will go down in price, while the CPUs to run them will increase in price. In 3 years, these boards and CPUs will finally have programming that take advantage of the extra power. In 5 years, they will realize that it was all for nothing, and they should have just stayed with one processor :thumbsup:

cases

Cases are among one of the customizable items-its the first thing someone sees(other then monitor) about your computer. Next year, even more wild and expensive cases will be available as more and more people begin to build their own computer. In 3 years, cases will be made out of the same material as the desk that holds them-to make the computer camouflaged. 5 years from now, it will take a "hidden" look when they combine the case and monitor into one unit, saving desk space.

keyboards and mice

There has been a significant change when they went wireless, can it be evolved again? Next year, force feedback in mice will enhance games while the keyboard will be made with a new material that will replace the plastic and springs. In 3 years, The "virtual keyboard" (found here)will get another look when Doctors are looking to prevent Carpel Tunnel's Syndrome. 5 years from now, voice-activation will be good enough to eliminate the hands as an input device.

Thats all I have for now. What do you guys think? Are any of these possible? Do you have any of your own?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

Well I dont think voice will ever replace the keyboard 100%...It just would take to much and sometimes its easier to just use you hands..I have dragon naturally speaking prefered and it works great for my typing projects but it cant click on every button or link and instead of saying the full link or "click on http://www.blabla.com it would be faster and easier to click it.

Hard drives may one day go to flash. Flash is great for replacing the hard drives in ipods because a hard drive can skip, flash can not.

There are all kinds of new technologies being made. Just look at how far cell phones have went! From a big bulky bag style phone to something very small.

The only problem is I think there going to small and thin. You cant even hardly hold them sometimes...

Take a look at some cool screens! This is another way maybe we could replace lcds in cell phones and even tvs? You think your LCD or Plasma is thing wait till you read about foleds and the others on this site.
http://www.universaldisplay.com/foled.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users