Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to continue? C++ Windows API

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Well, I have just finished a nice C++ course and it covered syntax. From what I have heard is that I should move on into programming with Windows APIs. Is their any free resource online that can help me practice and give me challenges to test my knowledge of the Windows API?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

When you say "syntax" that suggests to me that there's a bit more that you need to learn before you proceed to Win API programming. You need to first learn about classes, data structures, etc. Win32 programming isn't meant for beginners. It's meant for people who have dealt with classes quite a bit and understand how inheritance and the like are composed.

Try reading up on some stuff on cplusplus.com

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

theForger's Win32 API tutorial is the only good one available on the internet. http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

The Win32 API presents a C-style interface. If you want C++ style interface then you can use MFC framework. If you want to learn MFC, then I suggest that you first understand the basics of Win32 programming (events, messages, windows etc.) and later start on to MFC.

They no longer publish books for using the native Win32 API using C or C++ after Microsoft has released .NET technology (as far as I know). But you can find some old books on Windows API.

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

I coulda sworn I replied to this............

Mr.VisualBasic, this might sound really stupid, but is there a reason we can't make that cplusplus site a link? If not, I'd like to.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Well, the class covered classes, structures, and inheritance and all that gooey fun. I will start to poke around in that Forgers tutorial
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users