Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with sharing a printer with Vista and W7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

My network setup is a windows 7 desktop connected to a printer, and a windows Vista laptop . The problem I'm having is that whenever I restart my vista laptop, and try to print from the shared printer, it says that the printer is offline. The only way that I can fix this persistent issue is to restart both machines, and add the shared printer through the laptop every single time. Is there a way that I can fix this? Such as, that my laptop remembers that the default printer is the one that's connected to the home computer?

Edited by djvic87, 03 June 2010 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hp printer? when you print click on the printer icon in the system tray (near the clock) and open the printer window go into properties and un check print offline. This should get you printing without rebooting your desktop. My system does this once in a while however my printer is a network printer that is attached through a router and has a static IP address. As you stated the printer is connected through your desktop through USB the desktop is connected to a router and the laptop connects wireless. I would try giving the Desktop a static IP address so the laptop always knows where the printer is or should be.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users