Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with Cursor upon start up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shookitup

shookitup

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

I have an asus eee netbook that is running wondows XP. I was on IE the other day on facebook and youtube and all of a sudden my videos and IE started skipping and freezing. I tried shutting down IE with no response so I opened task manager and clicked end task. Still nothing so I did a hard reset (held power button down until it shut off). When I tired to power back up it asked me to run normal/safe/etc becuase of the hard shut down. I clicked normal, it went to the next screen which was the windows progress bar loading and then when it was supposed to go to the XP logo and user account selection page it instead goes to a black screen with my cursor dead center (I can move the cursor around however).

I tried using ctl+alt+del and didnt get anything. I then restarted it in safe mode and safe mode with networking and I can get it to work that way. Since it runs in safe mode I went and searched around in the regedit, msconfig, temp files, system32 files and prefetch files (all "solutions" from other people who say it will fix it) none of them worked.

Like I said, I have a netbook so not only do I not have a DVD drive or an external drive but I also do not have any OS install disks.

Please help me as I need my computer and am at my wits end!

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Something you can try, go into My Computer, right click your C: drive (assuming that's where the OS is installed), select Properties, Tools tab, hit Check Now under error checking, select both check boxes, and hit start. You will get a message stating the drive is in use, do you want to schedule it the next time your computer is restarted and select yes. Then restart the computer and let it do its thing.

If that doesn't work, try using an XP disk to run a repair from it...(I did see you didn't have any disks, see what they would cost from the manufacturer, Asus)

In MSCONFIG, did you disable everything unnecessary to load on boot...like all the updaters, and other third party software?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users