Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover programs in XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 41woodie

41woodie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Last week I suffered through an infection of Antispyware Soft and in the process of waging war I did a restore (on purpose) and a recovery (by accident). It left me struggling to reconstruct my computer from the rubble and debris. Most of the programs that I have reloaded from disc are up and runnning.
However, one program Family Tree Maker 2009 is giving me fits. At first I couldn't get it to open at all getting an error stating that I couldn't start the program unless it was installed. I fought past that and now it will open but all data I had entered ie dates, names, photos etc is not showing up. The program wants to start a new family tree from scratch and cannot find any files to restore.
If I search in my program files I can find the program, all 435mb of it, which I think represents the original program plus all of the entered data. I've found and restored seperate files that were the old photos I had loaded in the program but the tree itself won't open. If I click to open the program it opens all of the sub-folders rather than opening the program with the tree and data intact. Any thoughts for defeating the forces of evil would be appreciated.
The computer is an HP Pavillion Dv6600, running windows xp media center. I was running SP3 up until the recovery when it reverted to SP2, since then I've reloaded all of the 78 updates including SP3. Thanks in advance. MH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

In your program is there an import/export feature in the File Menu, and if its not there you may have to look for it. You can try importing your old data via that method.

#3 41woodie

41woodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Dan I'll rummage around and see if I can locate that function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users