Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont run...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhobbs

rhobbs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

My daughters acer aspire one (model ZG) isnt working! when i turn it on it shows the windows logo page and then goes to a screen that says" one of your disks needs to be checked for consistancy. you may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue. to skip press any key within 10 seconds" If i press a key the laptop shuts itself off. If I dont press a key the countdown begins but when it gets to 6 the laptop shuts itself off. If I shut the laptop off and then restart I am offered to start in safe mode. If i start in safe mode the screen shows, multi(0)diskrddisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers......and then shuts itself off! Please help! OS is XP.

Edited by rhobbs, 03 June 2010 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

You have a couple of options, dependent on your circumstances.

It sounds like your hard drive is failing. If you go into BIOS there is sometimes a drive diagnostic. If you can identify the brand of drive, the manufacturers usually have diagnostic software available that you can burn to a CD or floppy.

Do you have the XP disks? If so, you could try a repair install; but if it is indeed the hard drive, this would be a waste of time. But if you do have the disk, you could purchase a Notebook (2.5") hard drive and reinstall the Operating System.

The old drive may be able to be mounted in order to get your data off of it. If it is not mountable, your data is lost unless you want to spend LOTS of $$.

I would start with the Hard Drive Manufacturers Diagnostic. Open the little cover on the hard drive to get the manufacturer. Sometimes you can see it in BIOS as well. ST=Seagate, WDC=Western Digital, etc...

Good luck.

DR

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer. :thumbsup:

I can help point you to the proper support pages for your specific laptop device, I realize you posted the brand name which is Acer Aspire One, but I need to know the exact model number, this number should begin with one of the following I have listed below:

AO531h
AO751h
AOA110
AOD150
AOD250
or
AOP531h

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 rhobbs

rhobbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

model # is...AOA 150-1635

Edited by rhobbs, 03 June 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

If your battery runs down too low, you will need to reflash your bios....
http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answer...xaw%3D%3D/sno/0

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

The hard drive is not user replaceable. please read this. http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answer...page/5/r_id/166

Windows will not boot. please read this. http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answer...page/7/r_id/166

What type of hard you have. http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answer...age/10/r_id/166

Good luck.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 rhobbs

rhobbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks to you all for trying to help me...luckily (amazingly) I managed to fix it myself! I just kept turning it back on and marked the places on the screen (with stickers) that I needed to click on to set back to factory settings and as I got faster at it I was finally able to acomplish this!! WHEW!!!

Edited by rhobbs, 04 June 2010 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users