Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Organize Favorites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

:thumbsup: Hi. When I click on "organize" when in My Favorites, it opens, but no list of favorites opens, there is only a box with a red x in it, instead. If I click on create a folder, move a folder, etc, an error comes up: Microsoft Internet Explorer-an error has occured in this dialog. ERROR: 318 object doesnt support this property or method.
Any help with solving this issue for me is greatly appreciated!
Thank you, parrotplay :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

This is a spyware &/or malware problem.

See this article:
Taking out the trash

See this article:
The Parasite Fight

Show all Files & Folders
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=62

Try these free tools.

Trendmicro (free virus scan only)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Ewido (free Trojan Scan)
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Adware SE (update after installing)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spybot S&D (update after installing)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

After doing this and the problems are not better feel free to post a HJT log.
Be sure to read the How to submit a HJT Log and submit it to the appropriate forum. HJT Forum links provided below.

How to submit a Hijackthis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

HJT Forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

#3 parrotplay

parrotplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:47 AM

Hi Bud...thank you for helping me with this...sorry it has taken me so long to get with it... I did all on the list and then some, favorites still will not work when I click to Organize, well nothing lists once there except for my favorite..that box with a red x in it. Normally I can right click and choose to show picture, when this is on some unopened graphic, but not in this case. Trend did find 2 things of spyware on my system which was removed. I have Adaware, the newest version, Spybot, all updated, Avast AV...all are updated and ran once a week. I also have Spyware Guard on, and use Spyware Blaster. I have CleanUp and run that all the time as well. I just downloaded something called Error Doctor, but have been unable to get it to work for me yet. I also have Uphclean and almost forgot...have Zone Alarm firewall as well. I do have a tool I use for the favorites list...FavOrg; could that have anything to do with this problem? I ran a scan through PC Pitstop, it said I needed to get a new system, did not register any MHz, said 0. Any clue to this mess? Was told to replace that little battery inside, not sure if that will help. One thing I am sure of is I need HELP!!! lol Thank you for your time and for helping me, very appreciated. I did post anew HJT log, nobody has looked at it for me though. Thanx...Leeann

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:19 AM

Remove (delete) any third party software that you use to organize favorites and see if the Microsoft favorite folder begins functioning normally again.

The favorites file is a text file, not a graphics file.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 October 2005 - 01:20 AM.

#5 parrotplay

parrotplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hi...Thank you for your help. I did as advised, removed the FavOrg-it would keep the sites own Icons instead of the explorer "e" or just file types. Same thing. When I click on Organize, when the Favorites list is up, nothing is listed in the Organize Favorites window, just that red X in a box. If I click on the functions to the left of where the files and sites should be listed, get error messages, saying "object does not support this property or method", 306-318-311-313 are the error codes. I do not know what to do...do I do a repair reinstall on XP? As I am having other problems, no spyware or anything like that seems to be found. Do I do a repair on IE6? Am no tech for sure. Have no idea why the problems suddenly. Thank you for your time and help, very much appreciated. PS-was suggested I change out the battery but am unsure if that will do anything regarding the problems with the system I am experiencing...thanx! Leeann, parrotplay

#6 Aviator

Aviator

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:03 AM

Here is how I organize my Favorites. I click on the Favorites tab at the top of the taskbar. (Not the one with the Star next to it). When the box opens put your curser on any IE link, Right click, and select Sort By Name.Your Favorites will now be in alphabetical order.

#7 parrotplay

parrotplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:57 PM

Here is how I organize my Favorites. I click on the Favorites tab at the top of the taskbar. (Not the one with the Star next to it). When the box opens put your curser on any IE link, Right click, and select Sort By Name.Your Favorites will now be in alphabetical order.

Thanks! That will help...very appreciated! What I was trying to do, was put groups of favorites in their own folders, ie: any tech support sites into one folder, "tech sites", all games into one folder, "games" well, you get the picture. That is what I used to do no problem, just clicked on Organize when the list of favorites are up. Hard to do...without any list of favorites opening. Thank you so much...parrotplay/Lee

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:39 AM

I see you have an HJT log in process.

Wait until your system is clean before you address other questions - might just be easier then....

Regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users