Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn it off or leave it on?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hello bleeping computer!

I am really sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in, but I looked all over and I can't find one that seems more appropriate. I have a question about leaving my computers on or not all the time.

My family has 3 slightly old desktops right now that we leave on all the time (we turn the monitors off though) mainly because we do not want to wait for them to boot up every time we use them, which is frequently throughout the day. They are in sleep mode all the time when we aren't using them. Is this more strenuous on the hardware than turning them off and on multiple times per day? Should we turn them off at night and just have them on during the day? Or is the difference between that and having them run constantly minor or insignificant?

Also, I just got a laptop here recently (lenovo ideapad y560) and I have a similar question about it. I heard that people go through batteries very quickly, so leaving the battery completely out of the machine except for when you need it is the best way to go. I also heard that laptop hardware in general tends to fail much faster than desktops. So since when I am at home my battery is not in my computer, is it best to leave it on like my desktops? The boot up time is much shorter on my laptop and I have found myself turning it on and off multiple times a day, I think it was like 5 times the other day, is that what I should be doing?

I have been thinking the most efficient route would be turning off all the computers at night and having them on (sleeping) during the day. This way I am somewhat energy efficient but also not wearing down the hardware too much with constant booting or running 24/7. But I am unsure, hence why I am writing this topic :thumbsup:. I want to extend the lives of my computers a long as possible, especially my new laptop.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice.
And sorry again if this is the wrong forum and please move it/tell me where to repost if it is.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

The issue of turning them off or leaving them on has long been debated

My thinking is to leave them on during the day but shut them off at night
Why have them running when you are not using them for hours?
Might save a little on the electric bill too!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

No debate here -

a PC will last the longest

if you never turn it on!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

I got in the habit of leaving my system on at night. Early in the days of my computer experience, my husband woke me up about 3am, saying there was something wrong with the computer. I stumble into the room where the computer was, hit the switch to turn it on, went back to bed. Since then, we've each gotten our own systems, but out of habit I leave mine on. Another reason I leave it on overnight is because that's when I run malware scans, antivirus scans, and defrag.

#5 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

I got in the habit of leaving my system on at night. Early in the days of my computer experience, my husband woke me up about 3am, saying there was something wrong with the computer. I stumble into the room where the computer was, hit the switch to turn it on, went back to bed. Since then, we've each gotten our own systems, but out of habit I leave mine on. Another reason I leave it on overnight is because that's when I run malware scans, antivirus scans, and defrag.

Yes my desktops do scans overnight as well. But I just want to be extra careful this laptop cause I need to last at least 4 years. In the user guide, when describing sleep and hibernate etc., it said if your going to be gone for a few hours put it in sleep, a day or two turn it off.

It also said if I leave the battery out particles could get inside my computer... so now I am paranoid about that lol. But I still think leaving the battery out except when I need it will make it last the longest.

So I still haven't decided if I am going to turn my laptop off or leave it on overnight, atm I am thinking turn it off at night though.

Posted Image

#6 nalin

nalin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

Most Computers and even laptops now-a-days are suited to running on a 24/7 basis and it's even been shown that aside from some complications (such as Memory leaks on a faulty system and heat) computers run perfectly normal on the 24/7 basis with little to no change or harm done. 

About the only thing that will happen if you leave the laptop plugged in all night is a slight increase in your electricity bill, as the battery and laptop will continue to consume energy so long as it is plugged in. 

It's technically like your PC. Do you unplug it from the wall every night? Probably not, your Laptop will do just as fine as your PC :D 

HOWEVER there are signs that leaving the laptop plugged in all the time and running at full can decrease the lifetime of parts inside of it (such as the screen and battery) to avoid this, when you are done with the laptop put it to sleep or hibernate (or close the screen as that will achieve the same effect) 
This will put the computer into standby, shutting off the screen and un-needed parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users