Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lockheed85

lockheed85

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

OK this is the problem: My Gateway Laptop takes too long too shut down, I just bought it a month ago. When I select shutdown (with no opened programs) the computer just stands there, it does slow down (when I press ctrl+alt+del nothing shows up), about a minute later the computer does shutdown showing the windows closing... process (normal blue screen) The thing is, this just happens when the laptop is running on batteries which is quite annoying. Is this normal? well thats all THANKS in advance. Here's some of the specs:

Processor: Pentium M 730 1.6Ghz 533mhz FSB (Centrino)
RAM: 512 Mb
HD: 80Gb
Graphics: ATI X700
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lockheed85

lockheed85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:29 PM

...forgot to say its windows XP HOME Edition... thanks

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

If anything may help-
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:58 PM

Do you have hibernation enabled?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:23 AM

What programs have you installed? Anti virus or other protection? List what programs you have installed please.

It can be caused by conflicts in the programs, this is why I am asking.

Or, if you installed some of your data from your old computer, perhaps it was infected.

What have you been downloading??? Anything 'FREE'? Free screensaver, free music and the like? Is Kazaa software on this computer?

Do you visit Ask Jeeves?

turnip gave you a great resource, check it out. And also this:
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

I'll be looking for your response.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 lockheed85

lockheed85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Ok... The computer came with Norton Internet Security 2005 installed, After purchased I installed office 2003, some games, msn messenger, Omega ATI Drivers, Firefox, Macromedia Studio, and i think thats all. The only data I passed from my old computer were songs but i scanned the old computer regularly. I havent installed free screensavers or similar (I dont think its spyware or adware, already checked though) Ill give a try to http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm to see if anyhting works. I do have hibernation enabled though the problem happens when shutting down.. forgot to say I also noticed that when I select Stand By the graphics look degraded / choppy... i dont care about it but i dont know if it could be related. Thanks

#7 lockheed85

lockheed85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

Reformat solve the problem... thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users