Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 hard drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:50 PM

hey all...what im wanting to do is take my old 80 gig hdd (windows xp from old computer where ram stopped working...) and put it on to the new windows 7 one i have....

now i have connected all the cables and everything....then i went to disk management on windows 7 and it wasnt showing up there,,,or in device manager....so any thoughts? i just want to use it to get files off of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer. :thumbsup:

We would be able to assist you better if you could please specify whether your drives are SATA or E-IDE/PATA.

Also, any time a device such as a hard drive is installed, you have to enter your BIOS utility at boot up and have the BIOS recognize the drive is installed in the system, before attempting to access it with-in Windows.

The directions for entering your BIOS utility should be displayed in the POST screen at boot up. It could be DELETE or F1 or F2, watch the POST screen for the correct key to press.

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 June 2010 - 10:35 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

well there both sata....and i know how to geet to my bios...its delete...i know that cause i looked it up cause on systemax computers they dont say a thing bout that...but any ways...bios doesnt say anything in there bout another drive being hooked up...its shows non detected or something like that...and i know the harddrive works...and yes it has stuff on it and it has windows xp put on it....

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Try another channel (connector on the motherboard) and see if you can get it recognized in the BIOS. If the computer doesn't recognize the drive in the BIOS windows has no way of seeing it.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

ok ill try that next chance i get...if that doesnt work it might be my hard drive its self....cause this is like the 5th time ive tryed it......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users