Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question for Internet Wiz

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G.

Paul G.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:15 PM

First of all, I know very little and close to nothing about the workings of the Internet.

I belong to a small Organization that has a web site and discussion board for members as part of that web site.

The person who is the administrator of the site is a renegade member that has complete control of the site and discussion board.

We have voted to move the site and discussion board to a new provider and have an independent administrator.

He will not relinquish control of the site or provide the information to allow the new web host/server provider/administrator to move the site.

How do we make this change without the co-operation of the current administrator and what do we need to do?

Edited by Paul G., 03 October 2004 - 12:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:59 PM

Who is the domain registered under? Who is the hosting account registered under? Have you contacted the hosting company and explained the situation?

#3 Paul G.

Paul G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:29 PM

Grinler

Thank you for posting.

None of this we know at the moment.

I understand that we can make the inquiry to find these out.

And I believe that that is being done.

Do you have knowledge of the fact that if the situation is explained to the web host that that is all that would be needed? Do you think that that is all that would be required?

The member that was providing all these services for us, is missing in action and refuses to do what was requested of him.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:15 PM

What is the domain in question?

#5 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:19 PM

here's the first step you need to take.

go here:

http://www.samspade.org/t/

do a 'whois' and find out who the domain is registered to

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:36 PM

I agree.
Or any of these:
ARIN
RIPE
APNIC

and we can help you set up and operate your own without a tremendous strain involved in comprehension, given some time and some effort on your part, too. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Paul G.

Paul G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:28 PM

I want to thank you all for posting and your help.

I have just been informed that another member has talked to a web master friend of his, and this problem should be resolved within the next few days.

I wasn't aware that it was as simple as explained to me, but neither was anyone else until we started asking questions.

Thank you once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users