Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safari for Windows - How Secure is it ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tamba1

tamba1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi Can someone please help me understand whether Safari is or is not a secure browser

I use firefox with noscript normally but have been told Safari is better for viewing videos and live streaming sites, I tired it and like it but want to be happy about security concerns ..

Having searched online found lots of recommendatin for safari windows and lots of negative reports and am completely confused ..

Hoping someone can clarify and also give me some upto date advice too as most of what I coudl find on security was 2008 & 2009 ..

I have read about security tools for Mac Safari but what about Safari for windows?

Is there a script control addon for Safari Windows like noscript?

Is there an adblocker for Safari Windows

Is there a Flashblocker for Safari Windows

If no to the above I guess I cld use something like sandboxie could I?

I look forward to your replies
T1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

Well, I installed Safari a few months ago just out of curiosity. The first thing I noticed was that it started up faster than Firefox. But other than that, it really isn't all that great.

Apple doesn't recommend using addons for Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3230?viewlocale=en_US
Safari isn't open source like Firefox, so it wasn't meant to be modified. Third-party addons for Safari often crash the browser.

So, as far as I know, there is nothing like NoScript, Adblock Plus, etc....for Safari (one of the main reasons I don't use it).

Also, Apple claims that Safari is "the world’s fastest web browser"....I beg to differ. It's almost as slow as IE8...Firefox is WAY better, in my opinion..

As far as security goes: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/03/safari_at_pwn2own/

I remember reading something else in the past about how Safari was hacked within minutes which allowed the hacker(s) to gain full control over the computer.

If I have problems with a website displaying in Firefox (doesn't happen that often), I use Google Chrome temporarily.

But, Chrome and Safari have very limited settings and customization...the main reason I don't like them.

Firefox: better security, customization (addons and settings), speed...and oh so much more: Firefox Features

have been told Safari is better for viewing videos and live streaming sites

If that's the only reason you want to use Safari...that's a weak argument, if you ask me.

Personally, I don't see any advantages of using Safari...only drawbacks. But that's just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

I hope I answered your questions. :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 04 June 2010 - 04:32 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

tamba1,

Although I can not answer any of your questions about Safari, because it is the one major browser I have not tried, you may be interested in trying Opera, a very smooth operating clean looking browser that requires minimal use time to get the hang of. There is a No-Script add on if you think you need it. Most customization is done right in the browser itself, skins tool bars, search engines, a feature called speed dial that will hold up to 25 of your favorite sites with thumbnails as a start page. I use it almost exclusively. You might want to give a look at the Opera website and see all that is available in it.

Dan

http://www.opera.com/

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

I have to echo danjmilos' sentiments regarding Opera. I have been using it for going on (shudder) 16 years. For me it's the best of the best. And I still have only scratched the surface of it's full functionality.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

I love Opera, but for whatever reason my college's user portal won't allow it. They say its a security risk and instantly block you out.

But on topic: Safari vs FireFox? FireFox will win everytime, I also second the comment about Safari being "almost" as slow as IE.

#6 tamba1

tamba1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

Hi to all who replied above THANK V Much - your comments were v helpful

I think I might give opera a try

T1

#7 tamba1

tamba1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hi all thanks again for your help I have installed opera and it seems really good however in order to start usingit properly I wld like to ensure my settings are secure .. Can you give me an idea of the recommended settngs at least as a safe starting point from there on in I can cnt reading tutorials etc - but dont want to surf with a new browser espec one I dont know very well without making sure I am secure..

danjmilos said "There is a No-Script add on if you think you need it" dont really understand that IF you think you need it- personally I wld not use FF for example without noscript and as a result I have avoided being infected .. My problem on a previous pc was when others "just quickly do something"!!! used my laptop hated noscript so basically ignored it switched it off etc grrrr Its easy to hate something you dont understand I feel..

So if someone can give me an idea of your tried and trusted settings I would feel more confident about "playing" with opera

I am also looking into running Opera sandboxed which is looking to be a very satisfactory solution for more and more users, in fact recently I've read numerous posts of people doing away with their AV security and relying on sandbox and not having had any probs for a number of years, though personally I am not ready to do that..

Once again Many Thanks again for your help in advance

tam1

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Well, Opera is safe as-is when you install it. But it has countless settings you can configure to your heart's desire.

I have Opera installed, but I've never used it. So, I really can't advise on what you might want to change and stuff.

But like I said, it is safe as-is. I'm sure there are countless help tutorials for using Opera.

A Google search for "opera browser" gave a couple good hits:

http://operawiki.info/Opera
http://www.wave-report.com/tutorials/opera.htm
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

tamba1,

I do not use any no scripts as I rely on my HIPS. With this link you can read about it and download it from here:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/02/opera-nos...native-blockit/

I got this link from Gizmo's Freeware Reviews another site that I frequent.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users