Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LoginUI.exe Bad Image Error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kitttieluv

Kitttieluv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Original Post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/321125/loginuiexe-bad-image/

"Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 1280us laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit that was working fine last night. However, today when I try to boot it, I keep getting the following error just before I get to the login screen:

"LoginUI.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

I can click OK on the message and then am able to enter my login information but then I get the same thing for explorer.exe instead of LoginUI.exe and when I click OK on that it just takes me to a blank black screen instead of loading my desktop.

I have seen several posts around the web that seem to indicate that this is likely due to malware or spyware. Unfortunately I get the same thing whether I'm in SafeMode or fully loaded. I have tried System Restore to no avail.

I also tried running regsvr32 from a command prompt and received the error:
"RegSvr32
The module "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dl" may not be compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.eve."

Does anyone have any ideas short of reinstalling the OS? I haven't backed up my files like a fool and I really don't want to lose them if at all possible."

I have followed the Preparation Guide such that I can. I am unable to back up my computer or create the logs due to being unable to do anything except shut down or restart my computer once I get the black screen. To get to the Command Prompt I had to use the Windows 7 disk and the System Repair function. I should have had a firewall already running through TrendMicro. I am posting this via our desktop computer not the laptop which is having issues.

Thank you,

Kittie

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 June 2010 - 06:52 PM.
Remove non-functioning link and kept good one. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:27 AM

Hi Kittie, please try the following instructions.

On a clean computer please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)
  • When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Kitttieluv

Kitttieluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thank you, I managed to get far enough back on System Restore that I was able to boot and run virus scan and delete the virus.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

Glad to hear that. Please let me know if you need any more help or if this topic can be closed.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

Due to lack of activity this topic is now closed.

If you are the original topic starter and you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.

Everyone else, please start a new topic.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users