Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer will no longer use my hardware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tractorjack

tractorjack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hey all;

Long time listener, first time caller. Recently, my computer stopped making an internet connection. I did the usual song and dance; restarting computer, modem, checking cables, calling my ISP. I opened my cmd prompt, ipconifg, said media disconnected. I tried to release/renew, flush the DNS, and nothing. 32 bytes out, no bytes back. Can't renew my IP.

I go to Device Managers; My ethernet card is fine; everything is greast. I re-install my drivers, and restart. Nothing. I find out that despite the fact that my hardware is all present, I have no use of video, or soundcard. Previously, the machine worked beautifully; when I came home, no hardware functioned at all. I have recently run a virus scan, which came up clean (i scan regularly)

I'm running XP, SP3, 4 g ram, 2.33 Triple core processor, with ample power (550w), AVG virus scan running...

I'd really rather not install windows.

Cheers,

R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

is video, sound card, and ethernet built in to motherboard or are they separate cards ?

model / make of computer or motherboard manufacturer / model ?

if video is not functioning, how are you accessing the machine ?

#3 tractorjack

tractorjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

is video, sound card, and ethernet built in to motherboard or are they separate cards ?

model / make of computer or motherboard manufacturer / model ?

if video is not functioning, how are you accessing the machine ?

Video and sound are aftermarket, ethernet is onboard. Computer is a handbuilt jobby by NCiX.com, my mobo is an ASUS M2a-mv. The monitor is plugged into the video card, and the computer boots fine, and displays. It's the AGP that isn't doing it's job- graphics on less than graphic-heavy games are quite pixelated. The montior still displays 1024 x 768...

Thanks for the help- much appreciated.

Cheers,

R

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

I had an M2A-VM board, that comes with onboard video.

Have you tried enabling the onboard via the BIOS...for functionality purposes?

If all your onboard functions are AWOL...I think you see the writing.

Since it seems that we cannot trust the statements in your original post....<<I have no use of video, or soundcard>>...let's just start with the onboard functions (video and sound).

Then we'll move to your add-ins.

You can also share the manufacturer and model...for these sound and video cards you have installed...if you like.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users