Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant access IDE harddrive, yet BIOS and OS detect it (Win7)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sweatdog

Sweatdog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

My main hard drive is a SATA 80gb that I boot and run everything from. I also have an old IDE hard drive (13.6gb) with important text and media files. This drive is set to 'master'. I clean installed Windows 7 yesterday (coming from WinXP) and now I am unable to access my IDE drive.

The IDE hard drive is listed in device manager, and I hear it fire up when I access its driver information. It lists the drive as 12.67gb unallocated. I tried setting the jumper on the IDE to "CS" and nothing changed, still detected by BIOS and device manager, but still unaccessible. Its back to "master" jumper now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The drives display as follows during post:

IDE Channel 0 = Master WDC WD136AA-35BAA0 ATA device

IDE Channel 2 = Master WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 ATA device (this is boot device, 80gb, 55gb free)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I go to computer management -> storage -> disk management I see:

Disk 0 |
Basic |
12.67GB | 12.67GB
Online | Unallocated

Below that is Disk 1, which is my primary SATA. So its definitely there, I just dont know how to explore it. Just so you dont have to ask, yes there is data on the disk, I'm positive I did not format it. its max capacity is 13.6GB. If I must, I suppose I can take it out and try to pull the data off the drive with a different computer, but I would like to avoid that blind fire drill if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by Sweatdog, 02 June 2010 - 04:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

What is the exact wording of the message you receive when trying to access this drive?

From My Computer...can you see the folders/files on this drive?

Louis

#3 Sweatdog

Sweatdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

There is no way to access the drive that I can tell, so I dont even get the pleasure of a message :thumbsup:. It is not visible in My Computer, but my main 80gb SATA drive is there. The header in the My Computer window says Hard Disk Drives (1)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

Generally speaking...when a drive is detected properly in the BIOS, but is not reflected in My Computer, it means that the drive is either unformatted or formatted in a manner in which Windows cannot use it.

Windows needs either FAT or NTFS for a volume to be reflected in My Computer.

If the BIOS is correctly reflected in the BIOS...it should be reflected in Disk Management. If so, it should give a better picture of what's going on with the drive.

FWIW: IMO, Windows detects a drive...is verbiage I would use when the drive is reflected in My Computer.

Louis

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

this drive was attached to computer when you installed win 7 ?

i recently came across a program called find and mount (when i stupidly deleted a partition in a raid array) it found the lost partition and all files and folders and i was able to easily copy everything to another location.

http://findandmount.com/ supported operating systems does not include win 7 but i would be willing to give it a shot as it will work with windows vista.

#6 Sweatdog

Sweatdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

this drive was attached to computer when you installed win 7 ?

i recently came across a program called find and mount (when i stupidly deleted a partition in a raid array) it found the lost partition and all files and folders and i was able to easily copy everything to another location.

http://findandmount.com/ supported operating systems does not include win 7 but i would be willing to give it a shot as it will work with windows vista.

Good call my friend. I can access my files now. :thumbsup:

Thats a great bit of freeware, thanks again.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Well done, Caperdog :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the pat on the back hamluis. I do get a healthy dose of satisfaction from seeing a successful outcome. I also have to say, that from reading your posts, I have learned alot about asking the right questions and trying not to get sidetracked.

Peter

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Just trying to pass on what I have learned...from others :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

WD ide drives had a standalone/single jumper setting instead of master/slave or cable select

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/legacy/Lega...p?Model=WD136AA

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

geez Chewy, now you have to come clean Sweatdog. does the removal of the jumper make the difference ? or did you inadvertently delete the partition ? or are we blaming the windows 7 install ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users