Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan the Registry of an external drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JMahle

JMahle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hello. I posted a thread about my windows xp hard drive booting up and me not being able to run anything, launch task manager, or run safe mode. It will not even boot from floppy or CD. I removed the drive, scanned for viruses and spy-ware, then cleaned the infections. I need a program that will allow me to scan the registry as an external drive. There is damage to the registry (or at least I'm sure) that needs to be repaired. However, without booting from this drive, the hive will not load. So my questions is, does anybody know a registry repair program that allows you to select which drive you want to scan? As in my hard drive from my xp machine now converted to a USB 2.0 external drive. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

AFAIK...if you cannot boot the drive to access the registry, you are out of luck.

A clean install yields a new registry that is undamaged.

Just a note: Any program promising otherwise (i.e., that it can be done minus already made registry backups)...is probably falsifying presented data.

Louis

#3 JMahle

JMahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:06 AM

Yes you are right I'm SOL. No worries since the computer "deserves" a clean install. I searched for programs and you are correct, false advertisement. So I think I will use the windows xp boot disk set (6). I will format the drive via external source... Thanks to my IDE drive case that converts IDE to USB, I will be able to use another system to format then use the 6 boot/install disks to load drivers so the computer will recognize the CD drive. I am glad I have all the motherboard disks as well because it will ask for the 4 in 1 via driver. I am lucky the drive lasted this long. In 2003 I used Norton ghost to clone a drive and have had little issues until this Trojan virus. At any rate I used the old drive as a slave and transferred music. videos, and some document to it for this very reason. Thanks for making the decision to clean install easier. It is an old computer but run really fast for its age. I built it and I think I do good work. It has everything a guy needs and nothing else to clog it up.

~J~

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

Let us know if you continue to have problems...good luck and happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users