Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server image to vhd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CidBahamut

CidBahamut

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

Ok I'll get straight to the point. We have a Windows 2003 server at work that's going to get torn apart and rebuilt. I need to back it up. However, my boss also wants me to back it up in such a way that we can reload it into a virtual server at a later date.

I need a simple straight forward way to do this if possible. If anyone can help me out it'd be much appreciated.

Basically I'm looking for:
* Software capable of creating an image of the server
* A way to convert said image file into a .vhd file that will run on VirtualPC or Virtual Server

The closest I got was a lot of mucking around with .wim and some .wim -> .vhd converter software. I got really bogged down in side research with that, and I the more I read the more it sounds like that isn't the solution I'm actually looking for.

I feel like this should be really simple but after a few days of scouring the internet I figured it was time to ask someone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

I would take a little while longer but you could create an .iso using Acronis or Ghost and then install the image to the virtual server using the same software.

Edited by Baltboy, 03 June 2010 - 06:48 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 CidBahamut

CidBahamut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Sounds like a plan. I'll look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users