Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried everything but still freezing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Chris856

Chris856

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

hi i hope someone can help. first of all im a complete novice when it comes to computers so please bear with me. last week my pc started freezing and programs would not respond but if i left them for a while they would spring back into life forf a short while then freeze again. i use kaspersky and ran a scan that brought up nothing. i spoke to a friend who suggested combofix which i did to no avail. eventually i got so frustrated i formatted and re installed windows xp pro. after re install it was exactly the same. however it will not install xp sp3 i purchase spotmau which found many errors and supposedly repaired them. however the pc is still exactly the same . i have tried all i know the next thing to try is throwing it out of the upstairs window i know it wont fix it but it will help with the insurance claim lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Can you post your system specs?

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

if you did a clean install, then it must be a hardware issue.

download hard drive manufacturers diagnostic to test hard drives.

try re-seating ram (remove and re-install) making sure they are in all the way. Discharge yourself of any static electricity by touching the case first before touching electrical components. If no change in computer test memory using memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ (free download)

#4 Chris856

Chris856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:05 AM

Can you post your system specs?

Windows XP Pro
Intel® Core™ 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.39 GHz, 3.25 of RAM
2 X 250GB HDD
NVidia gts 8800 Video Card

regards

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

When was the last time you cleaned your computer out? Dust inside the heatsinks of the CPU and GPU can cause over heating due to the airflow being disrupted. Can you take a picture of the insides of your case? Also what kind of power supply are you using?

#6 Chris856

Chris856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

yes both cpu and gpu free from dust . power supply is Thermaltake TR2-500 ATX 12v 2.0

tried to upload a 230kb pic but for some reason it wouldnt let me

regards

Edited by Chris856, 03 June 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

What is the model number of your video card, and is it the 320meg or 640Meg version?

I can see your power supply only supplies upwards of 29amps on the +12 volt rails. The 8800GTS requires 26Amps. Your computer could be stressing out your power supply resulting in the freezes.

#8 Chris856

Chris856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

its the 320 mb not sure of the model number. i have had this pc for about 2 years now and never had this problem. tried dxdiag and all tests on there say all is ok .......

#9 NirvanaWindsor

NirvanaWindsor

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

hi Chris
I think your pc may be stuffed with too many unnecessary things so it can not run normally. So I suggest you to check the space of your pc. And I am thinking, since your pc freezes so frequently, which might result from virus or malware. So you need run your anti-virus tool to get your PC a full scan. After that, we shall discuss more.

#10 Chris856

Chris856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:24 AM

hi Chris
I think your pc may be stuffed with too many unnecessary things so it can not run normally. So I suggest you to check the space of your pc. And I am thinking, since your pc freezes so frequently, which might result from virus or malware. So you need run your anti-virus tool to get your PC a full scan. After that, we shall discuss more.

i have done a full format and fresh windows install so not full carried out full scan with kaspersky nothing found carried out malware scan nothing found...

Edited by Chris856, 04 June 2010 - 05:48 AM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

You may want to think about investing in another power supply such as this one:

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - $89.99 ($69.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

#12 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

Does it freeze while running all applications or just 3d intensive applications? While you were installing windows, was it running choppy or freezing? Also, right after you installed windows and installed your drivers, was it running odd immediately or not until you installed a few applications?

Jake
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#13 Chris856

Chris856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Does it freeze while running all applications or just 3d intensive applications? While you were installing windows, was it running choppy or freezing? Also, right after you installed windows and installed your drivers, was it running odd immediately or not until you installed a few applications?

Jake

immediately :thumbsup:

#14 Chris856

Chris856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - $89.99 ($69.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

forgive me if i sound a little dumb but my pc has run on this power supply for over 2 years and had no problems until now. so could it be the power supply ?

regards

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

forgive me if i sound a little dumb but my pc has run on this power supply for over 2 years and had no problems until now. so could it be the power supply ?

regards

Did you recently add the video card, or did it come with the PC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users