Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalling XPH OS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 roblev

roblev

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

reinstalled from emachine discs to no avail. Reinstalled from an XPH SP3 disc and couldn't load an antivirus. ran Combofix and it found multiple corrupt system files including tour.exe. could not run combofix a second time. used GWscan to write zeros to the hard drive and flashed the bios with an update. reloaded OS with XPH w/SP2 disc but ran into the same issue. Ran combofix multiple times and it would find corrupt files everytime it ran but once. Where is this booger hiding? I even changed CD-ROM thinking it might be hiding in the P-N-P memory. HELP!!! Emachine T6522

Edited by roblev, 02 June 2010 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

Doesn't sound like what you seem to think it is...sounds like a bad hard drive moreso than anything, considering that you formatted/reinstalled the O/S.

Did you run a diagnostic on the hard drive?

Louis

#3 roblev

roblev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

yes GW Scan said no error. wrote zeros to all sectors to make sure. OS loads but will not let me load antispyware or virus protection. It even stopped Combofix one time. the same system files seem to get corrupted every time Tour.exe in particular. I will switch out the hard drive and try again.

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

where did you get your xph sp2 disc? are you sure it's clean?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

I think I'd have more confidence in a diagnostic prepared by the hard drive manufacturer...than I would for any Gateway tool designed as a generic test and which uses the phrase "allows you to verify most hard drives" when describing its function.

If a short and long diagnostic test are offered...I would run the long test.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

I agree with Louis that it sound more like a hard drive that is failing than anything.
Test it with the mfgrs diags and to the extended test if presented with that option.
The extended test can take hours.

Also check the installation media to make sure that it is clean and relatively scratch free.
One would think that if the media were a problem that you would be getting copy errors during the installation though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 roblev

roblev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

New Hard drive, same problem. Running Combofix and encountered "pev.cfxxe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" Then I try to install recovery console and get "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 CD Boot Floppies" "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory or corrupted Cabinet file" Then I run combofix anyway and get several system32 files corrupted and repaired. Second scan of combofix several "system files corrupted!!" including mmc.exe and winmine.exe and migwiza.exe repaired."

Edited by roblev, 02 June 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#8 roblev

roblev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

XPH CD w/SP3 is from a dell computer I own. XPH w/SP2 is a store purchased disc. I have loaded from these same discs many times trouble free. New western digital hard drive, same problem. I am including the three combofix logs I just ran

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#9 roblev

roblev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

three logs

Removed as not permitted outside of log forum. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 June 2010 - 09:17 PM.

#10 roblev

roblev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

been working on PCs for years and never seen anything like this

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

This is the XP forum...designed to handle O/S issues.

If you want to initiate a thread re malware and submit your logs...it's probably best that you begin by reading the appropriate procedures at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/.

Once that is done, then go to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/, read and follow the adminstrative instructions there.

Once you have completed these actions, I will close this post to prevent miscommunications among members.

Louis

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hello,

I have pasted the first CF log into your new topic. Please retain the other two in case your helper asks for them.

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/321152/beyond-malware/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users