Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beowulf Cluster

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

It's been a while sence I've last been here, anyway.

I'm planning on build a cluster, specifically a Beowulf cluster. I've already done my homework *on google* and found out all the steps to build one and which software I need. I've come here to ask if anyone has a cluster already and could you give me any advice about them. How to run diagnostics test on them to see if they're computer right, tips on keeping them cool, etc.

Also, I know clusters are generally used for problem solving like weather storm re-creations and crash simultions. But, say I had 6 nod cluster, master nod included, and I wanted to connect it to my personal pc that I'm using now, could I do that?

*Tries to find the right words* Basically, I want to be able to connect my cluster to current pc, but, anything I due regaurding computing and processing, I want my current pc to use the power of not only itself but of the other nods as well.

Say I was running Sim City and my current pc only has 1gb of ram. If I connect my "6 nod cluster, each nod having 1gb of ram" to my current pc, will my current pc work using 7gb of ram or will it continue to only use 1gb of ram? This is how I'd like my cluster to run.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time ou to help me. (If there are any type-o, sorry. I was in a rush.)

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taomech

Taomech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:35 AM

Sorry Lithium, but you won't get 7gb of memory. Clustering is most useful when you have a large task that generally takes a long time to complete. If your into 3d modeling, a cluster can be a very useful tool. This also applies to video editing, mathematical equations etc.

However, you won't be able to have all the processing power and memory etc on the one machine. As an example, I'm going to use 3d rendering.
1. I model my image in a 3d program. Eg. Blender.
2. I "split" up the parts of my image and send each part to one of my 6 machines.
3. Each machine then renders its part and sends it back to my computer.
4. I then "reassemble" the image from all the different parts. This gives me a 6x speed increase.

So to conclude, for your current idea, clustering will not work.
If there's anything you don't understand and want clarification, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Taomech

#3 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

I give you my thanks Taomech for answering my call for help.

It would seem that I must resort to build a gaming pc like I intentionally planned at first. Thanks again for your time and information.

Tempus Fugit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users