Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ack! this virus is awful!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smileymoo22

smileymoo22

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:28 AM

hello, i was on yahoo and a friend wrote something like.. i cna't believe this cow..and there was a link..it was a trusted friend, so i went ahead and downloaded it! bad mistake! (there were about 5 pics of a gal in like a nurses outfit..or skirts..no nudity..just sexy pics of a woman). i am guessin that someone used his sn to im me and sent me that link :thumbsup: now i will ask them what it is before downloading it (it was a message sent to me when i was away on im. and they were no longer there to ask if its legit or not). all of a sudden, it started deleting files!!!!! like pictures i had stored on there..music...and when i was iming a friend on aim..it wrote them and was sayin bad things.. then, it changed the background of my computer to something red..so i closed the boxes i had open to see what in the world it did, and it had a red toilet on my background for my desktop.
LOL..this is an insane virus!

so i tried to recover my files in the norton's protected files , and it said something like..grr..i cna't remember exactly, but the files were shown, but it said it couldn't recover them for some reason..like hte protected file was gone??? (finally ,i just turned off my computer and unplugged it to hopefully stop it for now till i know what to do, without it continuing deleting stuff). so first of all, i was wondering if there is any way i can recover my pictures i had on there and the music files or any important files it may have deleted that i dno't know of?? would system restore..or restoring from a specific date bring back those files..the pics and everything it may have erased..if so, i am not sure how to do that exactly...just read somewhere bout u can go back and restore stuff and select a date n all. second of all, trend micro popped up and said that i had the virus called Troj VB.HS in the file MXZ.exe..and i do believe it said it quarantined it..but not sure. so i was wondering if u knew what i could do to remove this crazy thing.i. am not sure if that trojan is the specific one or not that is makin my computer go all crazy. but if it is, how to rid of it..and also if any other viruses sound like it could be these symptons. so, yah, i guess what i'm askin is how to make my computer back to normal sniff :flowers: and also if theres a way to recover my pics and music :trumpet: thank u sooo much! any help would be much appreciated!! be warned anyone that reads this of a link that looks normal such as geocities(i think thats what site it seemed it was from..but turned out not to be site..but a screen just comes up with a download box instead..don' t do it!! LOL!!) that u may see on yahoo im or aim!!

melissa :inlove:

Mod Edit: This post has been edited in order to remove the explicit details, which are offensive and not necessary.

Edited by Scarlett, 06 October 2005 - 08:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

Free file recovery tools

See FAQ 8 for data recovery tips.

Don't recover data to the drive you are working on, copy to a external HDD/Another Partition on the drive or hdd or recover onto a USB flash drive.

Active Undelete is a paid for tool but it will run from a floppy.

My advice is find a friend with WinXP and build the UBCD4Win as you don't want to write anything to the drive you want to recover files from as this will hinder the ability to recover from them (if you boot your PC and load windows you will start writing data to the drive and may overwrite information you need). The UBCD4Win will give you full read/write access to your PC. Plus the ubcd4win will also allow you to do a virus scan on your PC and remove any infected files.

Afterwards I'd submit a hijackthis log here to make sure your PC is clean.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip remember to extract the contents of the zip file into the same folder as Sysclean.com

or

DrWeb CureIT

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner this command will scan all of your hdd's SAV32CLI.EXE -F -di -remove -dn -mbr -all -zip -p=avscanlog.txt and give you a log file to review afterwards.

Also try installing and running A2 Free and Ewido

I'd also run Spybot and Adaware

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt"

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

Edited by stidyup, 06 October 2005 - 06:52 AM.

#3 smileymoo22

smileymoo22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

hey there, just wanted to let u know that I am still alive lol.. I just am tryin to get together with a friend that can burn me a cd and make me that ubcd4win cd. I have been busy, and haven't had time to get together with a friend, when our schedules work out. So I am either going to buy a cd burner myself and do that on my computer to fix my moms computer, or go over to a friends house that has a cd burner. but just wanted to let you know that I am still alive :thumbsup: hey, thank u by the way for your help on this! it means a lot to my mother and I. It's her computer I am tryin to fix for her. I do have a question though before I start makin the cd.... do I put everything I need onto the cd (virus software, the recovery files, and adaware, and the other stuff u mentioned to download..do i put that on the cd as well???). And how does that work? after u burn it and all, u just insert it in like u normally would..like once the computer is turned on, u just quickly put it in..and it boots up..and then ur able to access what is on the cd and do things from the cd as if u normally would on the computer? also , i noticed the list of recovery tools..is there a specific one that works best at recovering stuff that u would recommend? and should i already have the usb drive in the computer when i put in the program to recover stuff? like right before i boot the computer on? as a side note, i think after i posted the first post, my mom went onto her computer (grrr LOL...)..she misunderstood me, which i dn'ot know how :flowers: but she went on her computer after i told her she can use mine..she got mixed up and i guess thought i said she could go onto hers..so hopefully, that didn't affect anything or toooo much when she did :trumpet: ugg..mom's !! lol...but u gotat love em! well anywho, sorry for all the questions..i will get this show on the go and let u know of the updates! thanks again so much!

melissa

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:28 AM

Restoration and PC File Recovery are OK, but you may need to use disk investigator.

When you put the CD in it will boot like windows, you will see the winxp loading logo when it boots.

If you are using a usb hdd/flash drive make sure it's plugged in before you boot otherwise the ubcd4win won't see the device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users