Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac spyware found bundled with certain programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Intego, a security software company for Macs, have discovered that certain mac programs are being bundled with a spyware called OSX/OpinionSpy. This spyware will use social engineering to acquire the admin password and then install a backdoor that transmits encrypted information that contains private data.Their threat risk article, linked to below, states:
"Intego has discovered a spyware application that is installed by a number of freely distributed Mac applications and screen savers found on a variety of websites. This spyware, OSX/OpinionSpy, performs a number of malicious actions, from scanning files to recording user activity, as well as sending information about this activity to remote servers and opening a backdoor on infected Macs."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thegodgen

thegodgen

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

:thumbsup: so mac os is not invincible after all :flowers:

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

:thumbsup: so mac os is not invincible after all :flowers:

It never was and never will be invinsible it is just that there is not enough people that own a mac to make it worth it to develop malware for it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

This is not an exploit.... it's spyware. It just snoops on the user and sends the data back. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it doesn't mean Macs are any less/more vulnerable than they used to be. You're comparing apples and oranges. The spyware requires root access and asks for the admin password. It's not like it exploits some flaw in the machine.... it exploits a flaw in the users (the one where they'll give admin access to anything that asks).
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

That is another reason I don't download screen savers. Even with good security you can still get something bad because you told your security system it's okay let the download happen. What ever O/S you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users