Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Burner Doesn't work/not in device manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 argyle

argyle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

Hi all,

I know this has probably been listed, but I couldn't find it. If there is a thread relating to this prob please list it in the reply.

Here goes... I have a HP Pavillion dv9910us. The DVD Burner doesn't work period. No burning, no playing, not even listed in the device manager list. If there was a yellow question mark in the device manager I'd know what to do, but the device isn't even listed. When I put a disc in, the drive spins like its going to do something, then it just stops. I can't figure out how to fix this. I don't know if this is related, but my webcam isn't recognized either. Crazy Stuff!

I appreciate your help!

Edited by argyle, 02 June 2010 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer. :thumbsup:

Since you say your device is not listed in device manager, there is no point in having you uninstall and reinstall which is one of the suggestions we offer here.

So I believe this is the information which applies to your needs.

Deleting the upper and lower filters.

Cd or DVD device not appearing in device manager or my computer.

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Please try this and let us know if this fixed the problem.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 June 2010 - 09:36 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 argyle

argyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

Bruce -

Thanks for the fast reply. I followed your instructions, but I don't have anything listed as upper or lower filters. So I could delete nothing.

Ive attached a picture of the screen.

Attached Files

Edited by argyle, 02 June 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Bruce - Thanks for the fast reply. I followed your instructions, but I don't have anything listed as upper or lower filters. So I could delete nothing.

First off you're most welcome. :thumbsup:

The filters are not always there, but when they are they can cause this issue to happen.

The next thing I suggest you try is locating the wiring that goes to the drive.

But before I do that I have to offer a little warning first.

Warning: Before proceding with any attempts to repair or modify the inside of any computer, be sure to ground yourself to the computer's metal case before and at all times while you are performing this task.
The human body is capable of storing lethal amounts of static electricity, which is capable of destroying the sensitive electronic components which are located inside a computer.

There is a power wire with four wires on it going to the drive, the other end goes to a power harness that comes from the power supply. Try carefully unplugging it by the plastic plug housing, not the wires, then plugging it back into the power socket again. Make sure it is all the way into the socket as far as it will go.

There is another wire which goes to the motherboard, carefully unplug this wire from the drive by pulling it out by the plug housing only! Return this plug back to the socket just as it was and make sure it is securely pushed all the way in as far as it will go.

Do the same with the plug which is plugged in on the motherboard, be careful not to stress the motherboard while doing this. Make sure this plug is firmly plugged into the motherboard socket.

Try this and see if your drive now works again.

If not, there could be a problem with the drive that is not user repairable.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 June 2010 - 10:44 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Did you try the auto fix it tool in the MS link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

This is a laptop?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 argyle

argyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for your helpful suggestions with this problem.

I never did get to open my laptop up to check connections b/c the cd/dvd burner player started to work. :flowers: THEN it was not recognized again. :thumbsup: THEN a couple days later it was working. THEN it stopped working as a CD was being played. NOW it won't work. Should I open up the laptop to check connections? Should I change my music selection b/c my computer doesn't like my music? :trumpet:

argyle

Edited by argyle, 11 June 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#7 argyle

argyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Ok - just removed the cd/dvd burner. I put it back in and ---nothing...

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Did you try the auto fix it tool in the MS link

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users