Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure: System Halted

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes.
I installed a new power supply and after doing so, I get the message "Boot Failure: System Halted". So, I put the original one back in with the same results and then put the new one in again. I tried reseating the battery which did not help. Went into BIOS to try to reset defaults, saved and exited. Same message. I hit alt, con, del and it boots up! Once it's booted, I can do a restart and it boots into windows OK. But if I shut it down completely (properly), the message appears and I have to do the alt, con, del to boot into windows. I also tried updating the BIOS. The motherboard is an Intel D815EEA2. I went to a 400w power supply from a 200w to support an added GeForce FX 5200 128mb video card. Everything worked perfectly before I started changing the power supply!
Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this annoyance?
I also had to disconnect the ribbon from everything to untangle the PSU wires. There was not enough connections for the floppy and zip drives so I left them disconnected. Could I have gotten something connected wrong???? The BIOS doesn't recognize the hard drive but does the optical drives. After it's booted to windows (XP Pro), the device manager recognizes it and does not show any problem anywhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

it's possible that you may have damaged your data cable from the motherboard to the hard drive. Try a new data cable and see if that will help

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

Or to add what Joe C posted above, make sure your data cables are firmly seated into their sockets at both ends. This could be causing an intermittent connection issue.

Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

OK, I'll try that when I can get to that computer again. I'm doing it for a relative. Thanks.

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but where can I find a new data cable? I've searched online and can't find anything.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Example

Louis

#7 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Thanks, Louis!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Newegg is a really great place to get stuff at the best prices.....except cables (5.99 ship on a 3.99 cable). I personally use newegg all the time but I learned the hard way when it comes to the egg and cables :thumbsup:

try here
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepar...amp;cp_id=10227

Edited by Joe C, 02 June 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Agreed about the shipping :thumbsup:.

But I seldom just buy a single item and I try to compensate by ordering something with free shipping if I need a part with shipping costs. There are all sorts of things that any user should have on hand (spare NIC, spare USB PCI card, spare mouse, spare keyboard, etc.) that it works out for me.

Louis

#11 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

I'm assuming I need the ribbon data cable as shown in post from Joe C. (although I don't need a 38' ribbon!), since I have no cable or connections that look like the one from Newegg. Would that be right?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

The cable in both pictures is the same, it's the connectors that count.

The rounded cables have replaced the flat cables in may systems because they promote better air flow in the system.

Both cables depicted have the same connectors, which is what is important when attempting to connect a drive.

General length for a standard cable is somewhere in the vicinity of 18 inches, I believe.

Louis

#13 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Louis! I went back and enlarged the picture and could then tell. Looks like it will be a lot easier to work with too!

#14 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

I got the new cable and tried it and still get the same message. And why would it not show up on restarts, just fresh boot?

#15 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

What's listed in your bios as the first boot device?
and, some bios's will default from a raid/ide/sata so you need to check the bios for that too. Can you give us the brand name/ model number of your pc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users