Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad not functioning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bhavini

Bhavini

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hi,
I use compaq presario - the cursor is never still.
Also the touchpad functions very irregularly.
Tried using mouse, but the problem of jumpy cursor makes it difficult to use the laptop.
Is there a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

From reading what you have explained above, you are having issues with the curser on both the touch pad and the external mouse as well?

I would try cleaning the touchpad off with a mild dish detergent to see if that fixes the problem.

Also there is a setting in windows which can change the mouses reaction time, you can lower it a bit to see if this works better for you.

You would find this setting in the control panel under mouse.

Kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Bhavini

Bhavini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for the reply - You very rightly mention that there is problem with the cursor with the touchpad and external mouse.
I cleaned it as per your suggestion - the problem still exists.
About the setting - I had already worked those options earlier. Besides this problem occurred while i was in the middle of work at the computer. The touch pad functions normally for say 10 odd minutes at the start and then the cursor begins to jump -
Could this be a virus?

Thanks,

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

Sounds like the problem with the touch pad and its effecting the external mouse as well. Are you able to turn off the touch pad?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Bhavini

Bhavini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

Havent tried that.
For now i have purchased and installed QuickHeal and have reset the touchpad properties.
Things seem to be in place! The cursor hasnt been erratic since.
Thank you guys for all inputs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users