Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tv tuner card possibly?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 idiot in the room

idiot in the room

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:36 AM

Well first of thanks for all the input that im sure i will recieve.
I am relativly dumb when it comes to computers and stuff like that but i had an idea the other day. I really want to get rid of my comcast box for cable and was wondering about tv tuners.
I was wondering if/ how welll this video card would work in this computer.. The only difference between that computer and mine is that i did the upgrade to 4 gb of ram. I was also wondering about picture and sound quality. basically any information or tips that i can get i would greatly appreaciate!!
Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

How well it performs depends on how many channels are encrypted by your cable TV provider. If you are curious, bypass the cable box, hook up your current TV to the raw cable feed and see what is available. A TV tuner card doesn't descramble signals.

There could be some contractual obligations on the cablebox as well. Read the fine print.

As far as the tuner itself, Hauppauge makes good stuff. Make sure the available drivers support your OS.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

I'll just add...I have an older model (PCI) Hauppauge card. You'll need an open PCIe slot for that card.

You need the set-top box in order to receive the channels that you normally would receive via cable TV.

When I connect to just the cable wire...I get the basic cable channels up to 125...the card is limited to those 125.

If I want to view a channel that goes beyond that, I must use the cable box.

Your cable provider will rent you an extra box (mine is $3 a month). Using this enables me to view/capture from all channels I've subscribed to, including all those above the 125 limit.

If I try to use just one cable box to feed both the video card and the TV...the output to the video card will be the same as what is output to the TV screen. Hence, the need for the second cable box.

I have a system very similar to the one linked to...I used this for TV capture via the card until I acquired a newer system. No problems at all.

When you install your card, you may not have any sound initially. If so, this will be because the sound volume may be muted initially...changing the volume control setting in XP will remedy that.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2010 - 10:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users