Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access 2nd Hard Drive, says Windows did not shut down correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ESP47

ESP47

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

I have two hard drives and I haven't connected my 2nd one up for a few months. Well I needed to access some files on it so when I connected the SATA cable and power to it, I just get a black screen that tells me windows did not shut down properly. It says I can go back to the last good known configuration or safe mode + networking + command. None of these work and when I select one, it restarts and then brings the same screen up again.

When I disconnect that hard drive, my normal hard drive boots up normally. I just can't get either hard drive to boot up when the second one is connected. Does anyone know what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

What is on this second hard drive? Is there a Windows install on it? Was it merely used for storage of data files?

Is the current system drive a SATA drive also?

Why did you disconnect the second drive?

Does the BIOS properly display both drives when they are connected?

Typically...when a drive is dead...Windows may have trouble booting because the hardware recognition portion of the boot process cannot complete.

Louis

#3 ESP47

ESP47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Yeah the other hard drive has windows and they're both SATA. It originally had a virus on it that wouldn't let me use any of my anti virus software to remove it. So I bought another hard drive, installed windows and then used the anti virus from the new hard drive to scan the old one and remove the viruses. I had it disconnected because it seemed like the computer ran faster without it.

I can't access BIOS or anything with the second hard drive connected. Whether its connected master or slave, it just does what I described above. I used to be able to boot my new hard drive and then just access the other hard drive. Now the computer won't even boot my new installment of windows while the old hard drive is connected.

I didn't change any of my habits with it either. I had disconnected and connected it up just fine about 20 times before this happened.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Seems to me that you may be infected again.

You assume that you removed all malware on the drive...but did you ever boot that drive again? That would have been the only way to tell if you had indeed "removed all the viruses."

Then again...the drive could be dead...Windows XP balks at booting with dead drives attached or non-bootable devices like flash drives, external drives, etc.

From what you've stated so far...I'd say that you have a dead drive on your hands...until you can get some sign of life out of it.

I suggest trying to run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long test, if long/short are offered) and see what status it indicates.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#5 ESP47

ESP47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

I used the hard drive a bunch after I cleared the infections and it worked perfectly fine. Ran my malware/antivirus scans on it once a week and it never showed anything. I personally don't think it's infected at all.

I'm kind of confused. How am I supposed to run those diagnostics if I can't get the computer past that screen when the 2nd hard drive is connected? It will let me choose safe mode with command prompt but I don't really know what to do from there since I'm not all that familiar with DOS.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

The diagnostic test run from a bootable CD...has nothing to do with Windows or any other O/S installed.

From the bootable disk, it searches for hard drives.

If your drive is attached to the system...and the diagnostic does not find it...that should be clear.

If it finds it and runs the diagnostic program...that should be clear.

Any drive detected in the BIOS...should be detectable by the diagnostic.

If you cannot even enter the BIOS with your older drive attached...that's a bad signal, IMO, relative to the functionality of the drive in question.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users