Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google bans MS Windows in its office

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

Google is phasing out the use of Microsoft's Windows operating systems on its company computers because of ongoing concerns about security. Google staff will instead be asked to use Apple's OS X operating system, or an open-source Linux platform, as the search giant tries to close the security loopholes that made it possible for Chinese hackers to gain access to email accounts.

Source :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/goog...-computers.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

I wonder what O/S Google uses for there servers that have to be huge.When Google completes its own O/S one would think that that system would be mandatory on all there computers. I think that they will find that keeping security updates is a lot harder than it sounds. Ever cracker in the world will be testing there security. Thanks for the information Romeo29.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Microsoft has responded to Google's accusations of MS Windows being less secure. Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc has pointed out the history of security problems in Google and Apple's Mac in his recent blog.

Source :
Windows and Security: Setting the Record Straight
Microsoft to Google: You're Not Exactly Safe Yourself

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

@Layback Bear Google uses a Custom Linux Distro for their severs (according to wikipedia, and my memory) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_platfo...urrent_hardware

It makes sense for Google to get away from being dependent on it's competitors products Android competes with Windows Mobile, Chrome with IE, ChromeOS with Windows, Google with Bing

Posted Image

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

Bleeping Big Rig thanks for the info. I would say to Google if you can build a better O/S do it. If it's better we will buy it. I have always wondered about the free O/S out there. If they are so good, and they might be I don't know why are people still buying Windows. There has to be something good about Windows. I use W7 Home Premium and I think it's great but I will take a free or paid for O/S if it's better.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

LOL Some guy hacked Apple's OS in less than 5 seconds this year............

Edit: Whoops, it was in under 10 seconds, not 5 seconds. Feel more secure Applites.......... Hack a mac in 10 seconds or less

Edited by DeathStalker, 05 June 2010 - 10:24 PM.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

yes DeathStalker but the thing is a mac is about as secure as a windows PC maybe a little safer the thing is mac has such a small market share it would not be that ethical for malware makers and remote attackers to build and attack a mac. Simple as that it is not worth it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

the thing is mac has such a small market share it would not be that ethical for malware makers and remote attackers to build and attack a mac.

It's not ethical no matter what the OS. Basically, if a system or program is not used much, it won't be attacked much because it doesn't pay for the hackers to do so.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

I think that Google is wrong to do what they are supposedly planning. Although those of you who think it a clever PR stunt, you may be right, and I may be crazy. But I still am going to say, yet one more time around here, Windows rocks! Windows was invented first, windows has the most features, and as stated, no oS is 100 percent secure! So for windows and it's status,. to me, Windows is the god of technology. Never leaves us, never hides! Google's not going to get away with that. Certainly not.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#10 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Windows is the god of all the OS'es.
I'm guessing they want to abolish competitor Microsoft in their offices.

#11 I.hate.doze

I.hate.doze

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

" Windows is the god of all the OS'es. "

Not to be argumentative by any means, but you are kidding, right?

I tend to think that Google was quite correct in their assessment regarding Windows security issues. I can assure you that there is only one reason (two actually, but one is out of my hands) I'll run doze on a system in my home / business and that is because there are certain things I need to do that I there aren't Linux applications available for.

Orange Blossom has got it pretty much right. M$ products are the targets that they are primarilly due to their prevalence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users